April 4, 2007

What's in a word

A lot. The answer is a lot! There are words we avoid because we can't understand it or its simply taboo...but I'm not afraid to say the hard things like hemorrhoids, kegels, and certainly not depression. Its really such a tragedy that clinical depression has this name - because it really doesn't explain it - its not just about sadness.

The opposite of depression isn't happiness - its normalness.

"Depression is not sadness. In depression, we lose the ability to feel any emotion strongly. The true opposite of depression is vitality - the ability to feel a full range of emotions, including happiness, joy, pride, but also including sadness and grief." Richard O'Connor PhD


Having the ability to respond appropriately, to feel and move on - isn't there. I can't say that I know this by experiencing it myself - but I know so many - so many people. Shame doesn't help. The fastest way to overcome the preliminary aversion is to say the word--depression - say it over and over, a hundred times until its not so scary. I think for our friends, our children, our families we need to talk about it - tell the stories - be honest. That's a start.

I don't know much, except to say I care. I know the facts, but not the feelings. But I wanted to write about it - and at least scratch the service. Thinking about it like this really helped me.

3 comments:

For now said...

Here is the thing- depression seems to be all around. And yet, it is such a mystery to me.

catherine said...

When I finally after YEARS started to go some group therapy and everyone would talk about depression and how differently it affected each of them, I was SOOO relieved - finally somebody else understood. Unlike so many of my friends and family who would sometimes stare at me with such anger or disbelief or frustration. I only have a few friends who have never experienced it that have stuck with me long enough to no longer have any of those looks. It takes discussion, it takes words. Thanks Angela - your blog means the world to me.

Ammon said...

I am so thankful that I had you in my life when I was depressed. Somehow you made it not so scary and you made me feel normal at a time when I didn't feel that way. Thank you for being such a great friend!