July 16, 2007

Flowers on Top


I just went to the cutest baby shower yesterday! I had so much fun getting ready - I wrapped the present and topped it with the prettiest fresh flowers. Awhile ago, at my sister's bridal shower, I noticed that all of the old ladies put fresh flowers on their gifts. I don't know why, but I suddenly realized that the ribbon bows that look like a dalia are probably trying to immitate a flower - and there is just no immitating the real thing. So, here's the result in old lady fashion!

Post Script - my favorite moment at the shower was an exchange between two women. Someone thought their mascara was running and in an attempt to gently wipe it away, somehow signaled to another woman that her mascara was smeared as well. But, this woman after wiping her under eye realized (in horror) that she wasn't wearing makeup, so she must have smeared chocolate on her face. So, she started wiping even more furiously. This suggested to the first woman that she wasn't fixing the problem, so she started rubbing furiously as well. In the end, and about the same time, they realized that both eyes were just as they should. They had just started a vicious cycle. Too funny!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man i hope when I get older i just have that innate elegance that everyone seemed to posess

Ammon said...

I'm stealing this idea for gifts and presents... why haven't I ever thought of that before--BRILLIANT!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love fresh flowers.

Oh, and about "Miss Angie", in the South where I just moved from, that is what the children call the friends of their parents. It is a form of respect with familiarity.

So all around the neighborhood, I am Miss Dede. I figured you got it from that. I actually like it and am going to continue to have my children's friends refer to me that way.

Lane said...

Isn't there a similar face-wiping scene in Better Off Dead? I love it.

Fresh flowers on a gift--what a darling idea. Why didn't anyone think of this before? I mean, like since 1940?