September 19, 2007

To be a Nun...



I looked at the car window and saw two nuns walking casually down a little path on the side of the road. They were talking...smiling. And I wanted to be them. I wanted their life. A life of goodness - but somehow sheltered. For some reason, at that moment, they represented a safe existance; and I envied it.

Not two days later, someone in all seriousness asked me, "Are you a nun?"

Am I a nun? Are you talking to me? A nun? Are you serious?

It was actually a teacher I had just met and she was genuinely curious. In all truth, I was taken quite off guard and remembering my desire to be a nun, I wondered about the potency of my wishing power.

"No, I'm not..." my sentance hung just long enough for her to answer.

"Oh, you introduced yourself as Sister Ballard and I overheard. I've actually been thinking about it all morning and thought to myself that you were the youngest, most stylish nun I've ever met."

So, there you go.

I still feel quite flattered to tell the truth, even though it was more a mistake on my part that caused the misinterpretation.

For the record, I wrote Ms. Ballard on the board - but I can't always be responsible for what comes out of my mouth. Sometimes the two seem quite unrelated.

14 comments:

Megan said...

I met a nun while watching my brother's games in May. Sister Laura from Gonzaga was a very sweet lady but also very alone. Her whole life is about the kids and athletes at the college. Very sweet and very very genuine. It was an interesting weekend. :)

hannah m said...

Ang, I totally get the nun thing-- I have so many memories of prancing around Italy with my eyes out for nuns. They seem to enjoy gelato as much as I do, because that's often where I'd see them-- like young girlfriends on holiday, giggling over dripping ice cream. There's something about that sisterhood, faith and devotion that is so intriguing, simple and complex. I totally understand why their life is appealing.

angie said...

"i'd love to be the bride of heaven...but then i'm not catholic..." anyone who remembers who said this gets 100 points!

Anonymous said...

Sister Ballard! I love it!

Erin said...

Ha! Thats funny.

Lane said...

One of my friends at school actually ran away to France in high school to join a convent! She is writing a book about it and it's beautiful. It all seems very...quiet.

She actually has a gentle nature but sharp sense of humor like you. Maybe you could make a good nun! But that would be a bummer for the rest of us.

Ann said...

i was watching some show on tv once and they were talking to a 'head nun' or 'mother' or whatever they might be called. she said that when she travels, she carries her blackberry because the young nuns want to be able to get a hold of her at a moment's notice. kind of took some of the romance out of being a nun for me.

Annie said...

oh that is funny sister Ballard! :) Love those little slip-ups. On my mission, I would constantly have to explain, that I was kind of like a nun (to the men) and then they would get it. I admit it would be nice to know where your life was going and to be sheltered from things of the world.

Kyndra said...

I don't think nuns blog - do they? I'd sure miss your bloggin' if you were a nun!

brooke said...

Sister Ballard! That's very funny.
In this day and age when secular values are tainted, a nun's life of extreme conservatism does seem safe. Great story!

Katianne said...

I like that story Sister Ballard! But wouldn't it be even a better story if you were a pregnant nun? (No offense to any nuns, it's an old girls camp joke)

Ammon said...

"How do you solve a problem like, Maria?" (It's the only nun reference I can think of.)
Also, about you slip-up, I answered the phone the other day,
"Dear Heavenly Father..."
If only!

Author said...

On my mission people alwyas thought we were nuns, so when creepy dudes on the street would ask me to marry them, I'd always say I was a "bride of Christ." I think you have all the goodness and patience necessary to be a nun, but you are waaaaay too much fun to be a nun forever. The fun nuns always take off with their guitars and/or lovers at some point.

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

I've considered this life as well, and mainly, like you, because of the simplistic sheltered existence they seem to live. I wish I could try it for awhile. However, then there's always the argument question and argument ... is what they're living ignorance, and if so, is ignorance bliss?