October 29, 2007

To the Fullest


I have a favorite children's illustrator - her art is clearly not childish - delicate and moving are better words to describe Lisbeth Zwerger's creations. I was recently given The Selfish Giant by a woman I admire, but hardly know. What a gift. How can someone who doesn't know you give you the perfect treasure? I don't understand it - but I know that I want to be like this woman. Her husband passed away ten years ago and yet she seems to thrive and quietly enjoy life. I don't know much, but she is an inspiration. A piece of me wants to keep gathering and quietly collecting these books as a reminder of a goodness I can't describe, but I feel so deeply.

5 comments:

Ammon said...

One of my deepest treasures is "The Gift of the Magi" you gave me for Christmas, also illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger. Her art is enchanting. But, what makes it priceless is that it came from you.
Love you.

Lane said...

What a lovely description! "Goodness that I can't describe but feel deeply." That, in and of itself, is the perfect description.

All of us would do well to have someone speak of us that way!

w. said...

Oh, I love your entries! And I adore Lisbeth. She was one of my favorite book lover's favorite illustrators as well--my mother's. But I love that you never cease to be thankful for those small and large things that others do for you. I'm thankful for someone that made your day with the gift of a beautiful book. I made my day with the gift of 3 lovely books yesterday! Thank you, Me--I adore books!

hannah m said...

What a lovely idea for a collection! And what a tribute that collection would be to this inspiring woman, as well as a treat for you!

catherine said...

Her art leaves me creating more in my head. Most book art just satisfies me and leaves nothing in me that wants to keep creating scenes in my head, but hers sets me on an adventure of my own drawing.