November 19, 2007

Think, Think, Think


I can't stop thinking about a recent article in the National Geographic. Joshua Foer explores memory and raises a serious question...

He suggests that "over the past millennuim, many of us have undergone a profound shift. We've gradually replaced our internal memory with what psychologists refer to as external memory, a vast superstructure of techonolgical crutches that we've invented so that we don't have to store information in our brains." Everything from computers, to calendars, to post-its allow us to remember awfully little.

I think he's got a point...I can still remember the phone numbers of girls I would call in eighth grade; but I've got no clue what my sisters' cell numbers are right now. The numbers are happily programmed into my phone; safely stored so that I don't have to use my head.

The great storytellers, like Homer, memorized the epics Iliad and Odyssey. I, quite frankly, don't think I could retell Goodnight Moon without forgetting the mittens or possibly the kittens.

And while I may remember every detail of this week's Gossip Girl, I can't possibly remember my own drama. The stories of who I am: freshman year antics, high school pranks, and even early mothering moments. Hearing things I said or did seem distant; familiar, but oddly separate sometimes.

I guess I am making a plea to myself. To stretch my brain. Realize that I have to make an effort to remember. That my re-remembering is up to me. And that ultimately "in the archives of [our] brain, our lives linger or disapper."

In the words of Winnie the Pooh: Think, think, think, think...and I just may memorize a phone number this week - to see if I still can!


Sculpture: The Thinker by Auguste Rodin

5 comments:

Ammon said...

You're right! We think that technology helps make us smarter, but does it really.
Just like modern inventions should save us more time, but do they really? I feel busier than ever!

vie said...

Funny you would bring this up...I read that article over and over and over! I was fascinated. The mind simply blows my mind.

hannah m said...

So true & so well written by you. You're right--I remember your phone number and the phone numbers of other jr. high girlfriends to this day--but I barely know my own cell phone number these days!

Bryan, Mary, Abby & Lorin said...

This is so true. What a sad commentary on the state of our brains. Thanks for the inspiration to think again. Hope you're doing well, Angie. We miss you.

For now said...

I love how you wrote this. And I totally agree-