February 5, 2008

Wheat vs. White

Let's get one thing straight. I do not pluck my own chickens or make my own soap out of lye. I am not creative and when I think of baking bread - it's poppy seed bread or some other indulgence. But, I do have to share my accomplishment.

I made pancakes out of real wheat. Not wheat flour or ground wheat, but wheat germ - the real deal. And even though I was attached by a cord to the electricity coming from the wall, I somehow felt connected to my early American roots. I felt like a pioneer (and wanted to be barefoot and pregnant to properly complete the picture). Anyhow, the point -- they were delicious. Thanks, Katie for the recipe.

Blender Wheat Pancakes

Blend the following for 3 minutes:
1 cup wheat (the real deal)
1 cup milk
Add 1/2 cup more milk and blend for 2 more minutes
Add the final ingredients and blend:
1/2 cup oil (or applesauce)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 heaping teaspoons baking powder
.
But, I have to admit that I still like white better. My sister's friend saw a loaf of white bread at our house and in all sincerity said, "Do they still make white bread?" Um, hello...the answer is yes, yes they do, and boy do I love it. How can you not love a bread you can smash into a ball?!
Cheerio.

8 comments:

angie said...

i just forgot - i do love the honey whole wheat from trader joe's - ok, i guess i like wheat better if it is this wheat!

hannah m said...

I am truly excited about trying these--especially because I'm sure I can entice Vince to make them for me this weekend!

I've been feeling like I was born in the wrong decade lately, so grinding my own wheat may be just the activity for me these days!

Ammon said...

What I would give for some doughy, airy, white as my b-hind wonderbread! Everything here tastes stale to me. (soft crying)

ali said...

I like white, but I think I'm a wheat fan. Maybe it's because my best friend in high school wrote her research paper on white vs. wheat. I think her thesis went something like "the whiter the bread, the sooner you're dead."

:)

catherine said...

Other than sourdough, a good dense, honeyed whole wheat is my favorite.

Anonymous said...

hey that was my friend! oh silly jen

Sarah Jean said...

Personally I enjoy making a smashed white hot dog shape. Try it, you'll like it.

Annie said...

I will have to try this. I just got a grinder for our 20 tins of wheat. Pancakes here we come. BTW--the bread in a ball took me way back to many happy childhood memories. love that other people did it too.