July 15, 2008

Good Luck in Beijing





Guess who was standing next to me at the checkout counter today? Dara Torres!

I couldn't help myself, I had to wish her luck in Beijing -- of course, I whispered it, so as not to attract attention. But, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I left. I found myself contemplating this woman making waves in the middle of her life. In a world in which we seem to worship pre-pubescent girls and their bodies and their youth, it is refreshing to see the flip side. The beauty of age and wisdom and life experience.

(If you aren't following the Olympics, she is the 41 year old athlete who is swimming faster then ever, making the team for the forth or fifth time - and by the by, I just can't wait for the Olympics!)





Photo: Marc Serota for The New York Times

7 comments:

Ann said...

that's awesome! i don't think i would have even recognized her-especially without a pool around her. we're excited for the olympics here, too! fun times!

RATCH said...

That is so cool! I love that you wispered it too so as not to attract attention. :) I too am looking forward to the olympics. Hope all is well for you, call me next time you are in Utah so we can hang out. ~Rach

hannah m said...

She is actually the only Olympian I'm familiar with - I love her story and that she rocks so completely. I have little doubt that you made her day when you whisper-wished her luck.

laurel said...

That's so awesome! I am obsessed with the Olympics. I always have been. I'm so happy to have tivo this time around so I can watch every minute of everything. Well, almost everything.

On a related note, I had Avery during the last summer Olympics. I was in labor while watching the Men's Gymnastics Individual competition. I was so bummed because I was in the recovery room and missed the Women's Individual competition. All I did for the week or so following bringing Avery home was nurse and watch the Olympics.

Megan said...

That is totally awesome!! I am in love with Torres' story. How can you not love cheering for a 41 yr old mom? I read somewhere that some magazine ranked her as having one of the best bodies in the world right now. Not an ounce of fat on her. Amazing!

Kyndra said...

I love that you knew her (because I never would have recognized her). And I love that you wished her luck because that seriously was so nice and I would have been too scared to do it!

Missi Waldron said...

How cool that 1-you were next to her in line and 2- you knew who she was! What a great role-model and I, too, can't wait for the Olympics!!