September 26, 2008

Offensive Odors

I have a very sensitive nose. If there is a noxious perfume within a mile radius, I am sneezing and my eyes are watering. I have actually tried to search out a perfume I can deal with - it is a life long search in which I have been fairly unsuccessful (oh, except my Jo Malone phase - that was lovely).

But the point is, I don't like many smells. That offensive odor that comes seeping out of manholes especially on a cold morning where the smell has a shape, the pungent urine smell that finds its home near the end of subway platforms, the strange smell that comes from the Bay at certain tides--what is that?, the skunk that continues to remind us of his life--long, long after his death (I guess he died fighting), the stench from a disposal that wasn't turned on (woops - my bad). But the smell that is the worst is the day-after food-in-car smell. You bring something home: Chinese, Rotisserie Chicken, McDonalds, whatever. And then you get in the car the next day, and it is still there. The smell that once was. That smell, I loathe.

Oh dear, suddenly the smells I am writing about seems to be overtaking me. My throat is itchy, my nose needs rubbing. It's like reading Perfume all over again (Paris was one stinky city back in the day). I am wanting to cleanse these thoughts; after I mince garlic I pour lemon juice on my hand. So, that's what I'd do. I'll end with the "less than" smells...less offensive than the ones I've mentioned...the cleansing, fresh, delicious scents. Grapefruit Juice. Tide. Babies After Baths. Lime Blossoms. Rising Bread Dough. Almond Extract. Ahh, much better.

5 comments:

lynette said...

here's a couple of fall smells for ya'--pumpkin muffins and banana bread. mmm boy!

Kyndra said...

I didn't know about the garbage disposal smell in NY because I didn't have, nor did I have one in any of the previous places I had lived, but then I moved here and found out quickly how rotten that smell can be!

A trick I learned for getting the smell of garlic and onions to leave your hands after you mince is to rub your wet hands when your washing them on the steel faucet and somehow the smell goes away. I even have a thing that looks like a bar of soap but is made of stainless steel and I use that under water and the smell vanishes.

brooke said...

NO WAY!! Angie...I too have the most sensitive nose known to man. I can tell where Evan ate lunch when he comes home from work. I am also on a never ending search to find the perfect perfume that doesn't overwhelm or bother me. Bad smells put me in bad moods. I will walk around the house looking for whatever offensive smell is bothering me (often times, I am the only one that can smell it) until I find the source! I am like a dog, I swear! Funny post.

hannah m said...

Oh, how I love Jo Malone - orange blossom perfume is my favorite, after the real thing, of course.

Anne said...

I too have a very sensitive nose, maybe that's what draws us to flowers?