February 19, 2009

...And then you hit a pole

Do you ever feel like you are your own worst enemy?

I seem to have the amazing ability to walk into walls and trip over my own two feet. I spill and I brake things - and I can't blame it on my toddler stage, because let's face it, that is far behind me. I have seriously considered never shaving my legs again, because I don't want another little cut on my leg.

It is almost as if I have found enough patience to deal with spilled milk and grumpy children, the semi that is stuck in an endless three-point turn the middle of the street and the sore throat that never seems to heal; but when it comes to stubbing my toe -- that's it, I'm through. I have so little patience for my own clumsiness.

For example, the other morning I went to walk the dish. And more than that, I invited someone I casually know from James school -- my attempt to reach out. So, I was feeling good - exercise and a friend - you go girl. But, it was in that very moment, that I hit an invisible pole. I was parking on the side of the road, and I swear that it didn't exist. I saw a pole five feet away, that I wanted to be sure to avoid, but the pole that I hit, well, I didn't see that one. But, trust me, the dent is proof that even if it was invisible it had some serious wrecking capacity. And then, I felt silly and embarrassed and definitely mad at myself. Why? When there is so much on my plate, must I go and do ridiculous things. I was busily balancing childrening, cooking, working, family-ing, soccer playing, book reading, bookbinding, mentoring, teaching, churching, visiting, volunteering, James schooling, running, Bachelor watching, cooking...I don't have space for body shopping on my mom's new car. Oh, did I mention I was driving my mother's car? I know, I sound like I am in high school, but it's true. I dented a new car. New and not mine. Sigh.

Life's a...and then you hit a pole.

16 comments:

The DuRochers said...

Sorry to hear about the pole Ang. I wish I knew how to make time slow down to be able to do everything we want to do. I so want to go on protest from things I have to do. They never end!

xo
K

Erin said...

been there! More than once...

brooke said...

Oh Ang, I am so sorry. How annoying. Dumb pole! Cute post. So true!

Carrie Hellewell said...

I love your renderings Angie! I can read them and imagine just the way you would say the words you type. I can't tell you how much I miss you and all the gals. I cried a little at missing book club... Ah well. Thanks for your posts!

lynette said...

dude, sorry about the pole. ouch!
i didn't see "the city" watching on your list. are you keeping up with it?

Anonymous said...

Oh no. You must have gotten the Robinson gene. I trip over stairs, stub my toe, and run into moving walls way too often. If only the world weren't moving so fast! Sending love from the queen of clutz - your Aunt Becky

hannah m said...

I get it, I do. I'm covered in bruises, with no idea how they got there, other than my general understanding that I am a klutz and run into things with appalling ease.

Did the Dish air clear your mind post-pole?

angie said...

Hannah, i had entirely forgotten about the pole by the end of my walk...but then when i finished it was still there and it all came back!

and, Lynette, i haven't been watching the city - is it as good? i feel like my heart belongs to lc and i don't know if i can make the switch...

and thanks for your post Aunt Becky! I'm glad I'm not alone!

Sarah Jean said...

What is "The Dish"? I thought you ment dog and your fingers decided to do their own walking.

angie said...

The Dish - is a local name for this walking path through the Stanford Hills. There is a big satellite dish that you pass!

Eva's Mom said...

Amen!

nicole said...

Angie, can I use your story for RS? It fits right along the come what may, and love it.

angie said...

nicole, you are welcome to!!

Anonymous said...

I am 54, probably the same age as your mother... you know, the one who let you borrow her car. Honey, I know you're tired, overworked, underappreciated and think that there is no end in sight. Your kids will grow up and move on and you'll get your life back and your brain back and you'll think back on these days as the best days of your life. In the meantime, I'm pretty sure you took the "dog" for a walk and not the "dish." And I'll bet you "break" things, "brake" is what you should have done before hitting that pole!

jane maynard said...

you are cracking me up, angie.

Anonymous said...

UGGHH! I did something similar yesterday. Aside from my 20-odd BLACK bruises from on-the-job injuries (running into desks, file cabinets, bathroom handles, etc. etc. who knows?), I got spammed on FB, no one read my status that said "I got spammed, sorry, don't open any emails from me," and everyone wrote me back. I responded to one note from a friend, opened up a little TOO much about my life as I caught up with her, and then hit SEND and realized she had Reply'd ALL, and therefore, I had just done the same. I mean, embarrassing stuff went out into the universe that didn't need to be shared. I yelled, cursed (nicely), and wanted to throw the keyboard, but I was at work. YUCK! I HATE FB. I HATE Reply All. And I was hating my stupid idiotic self for making a dumb mistake. Girlfriend, please take a Dish walk in my honor, and know I feel your pain. xo, w.