February 4, 2007

Theodore Roosevelt had a son named Kermit

This is the truth...
Theodore Roosevelt would take his young children on regular "scrambles" through the woods (mostly just outside of DC). The only rule on these walks was "the participants could go through, over, or under an obstacle, but never around it...'If a haystack was in the way we either climbed over it or burrowed through it. If we came to a pond we swam across it.'"

I am somehow enchanted by the idea of taking long walks and really facing every obstacle that comes in your path; not going around, but facing every challenge directly. I think there is a valuable lesson, not to mention a pretty funny adventure. I can imagine hoisting the boys over the tree we encounter and probably getting stuck myself - how's that for an image. If my boys weren't one and five - we'd charge into nature for our own scramble today. But, I promise, when they are older - I'm trying it!

Oh, yes, and then there's Kermit...its the truth, too...its really his name. Here he is during his journey down the River of Doubt - its an interesting book and an awesome beard.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

that does sound really interesting. thanks for the tip!
and that game sounds like it would be fun someplace without a lot of obstacles, like the beach. i'm so lazy. :)