March 23, 2007

All Things Bath

Tonight I dragged soaking children out of the bath and subsequently, my thoughts on all things bath...
+=
One. I dropped "Big Blue" in the tub and its busy fizzes and frothy foam scared Chase. But, James loved the seaweed that appeared. So, tonight the bright blue bath water transformed the ordinary bath into the ocean and the boys into two large fish.

Two. I bought "Big Blue" in Carmel. And although LUSH is in New York, LA, Australia, Hong Kong, etc.; I still get as excited as I did the first time I found the store eight years ago. I bought a few bath bombs to introduce James to the experience. The Tisty Tosty is shaped like a heart. For $5.35 it makes a heavenly bath filled with a light scent and dried roses. And if you saw the Friends where Chandler bathes with emulsifying salts - you know that even the most skeptical showerer can become bath believers - you'll just have to try it.

Three. This poor mother elephant dreams of five minutes' peace but never attains it - she doesn't give up on the dream (a dream my mother must have shared). In the end of the book, 1 minute 37 seconds of peace in a quiet bath will have to do. Perhaps tomorrow she will find her peace.

Four. On rare occasions I bathe in the darkness - no candles (although that's nice) - there is something about taking a bath at night when the house is silent and all you can hear is the gentle sound of water. Somehow my senses are hightened...showers for business, but always baths for pleasure.

Five. The bubble bath. I can imagine the crackling sound of the bubbles as I type. My Grandmother always had a huge bottle of Spring Gel Vitabath by her tub, and my mother kept the tradition alive.


Six. And then there's Bath in Sommerset, England. Its one of my favorite places - the architecture, the Royal Crescent, the history. Visiting the Roman Baths made me feel part of the past. And when I looked up at the fan vaulting on the ceiling in Bath Abbey -- heaven.

Seven (its a stretch). Jane Austen's Persuasion takes place in Bath; I love the pivotal scene where Anne makes the assertion, "We certainly do not forget you, as soon as you forget us. It is, perhaps, our fate rather than our merit. We cannot help ourselves..." These words overheard by Wentworth spark a passionate letter he hands her, with renewed hope for the future. (Northanger Abbey and Pickwick Papers have scenes in Bath as well.)

Fin.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to leave a witty comment, however, I need to go bathe.

Anonymous said...

Point two---should you chose to launch a bath bomb--the whole house reeks--oops, err has the fragrance of the bomb. It was on my lips and in my nose for hours

angie said...

rude! i liked the smell - which is saying something because i like very few! i'm sorry your nose isn't so refined.

Megan said...

Bath bomb, hmm...sounds like something fun I need to look into!

Leslie said...

oh how i loved that little Lush shop in Covent Garden. and we did have so much fun in Bath. In fact, I have a pretty awesome picture of you in your ski parka in front of Bath abbey. 'member? :)
i'm going to have to try that bath in the dark thing. it does sound quite sense-heightening now that you mention it . . .

Ammon said...

I am that mother in Five Minutes' Peace. I can never take a bath without having one of the kids staring at the tub and begging to come in. Plus, I sometimes feel like an elephant in the tub, so I am a big believer in taking baths with the lights off!

angie said...

leslie, i don't remember the ski parker - in fact, i'm a little afraid to remember such a thing. because what i do remember is that my hair in london has never been more ugly - and that is a scary thing.

ali said...

Angie, this may sound weird, but whenever I think of a nice bath I think of your mother!

Lane always had the best stories about how she would draw a bath complete with fresh flowers and candles for anyone who was having a bad day.

That is my idea of wonderful, and I hope to be like her.