March 23, 2007

Missin' Out

I have every reason to dread my life right now, and ironically (or hopefully) I have every reason to love it. But despite the amount of fun I am having while the boys grow, the truth is there are a lot of days I fake it. Fake it 'til you make it - right?! Anyhow, there is a lot of goodness so that's not the hard part. The hard part is missing things; not knowing if I'll pick up where I left off or if its all in the past. And if it is in the past did I appreciate it enough?

Here are a few random things about Manhattan I wonder if I savored enough...

  1. Central Park (for example the Bethesda fountain - I went but I didn't take any pictures of the boys living and chasing around it - not as tourists)
  2. Pearl River Mart in SoHo - I went so many times and almost bought specific place settings for Chinese food and chopsticks - sigh - there are so many wonderful chopsticks I never bought
  3. The Friends in my building and nearby buildings - I love you all and wish I played harder and longer - and instead of Friday potlucks at Wagner, I wish I had camped there.
  4. Everyone in Primary - I was so busy most Sundays I didn't get to stop and chat enough - did I let them know how much I adored and admired them?
  5. So many places to eat (although I am sure I savored Financier enough, hell, I walked downstairs and went in my jammers most of the time).
  6. Book Club - it was a wonderful group of rotating people - hey, remember the recap's Elise would do - that was the best - but I got lazy about going in the end.
  7. Levain's - I didn't eat enough of their cookies, period.

I don't have many regrets, but I have the middling almost-regret. I guess its always best to live whole-heartedly. Jump in and make friends - not wait - its such a waste otherwise. Because the truth is cookies and chopsticks aren't so important - its the people.

4 comments:

Ann said...

You seem to me to be the best at 'siezing the day'! I wish I could be more like you -how you make every minute count with your boys. Your ideas and involvement with you kids amazes and inspires me!

Ammon said...

How can YOU think you fake-it? You are the most genuine person/mother/friend that I know. I've never known anyone quite like you-you are everything I wish that I was!

jamieanne said...

I find that it is so easy to fall into that trap. I live in NY, and if I'm not going all the time I feel as though I'm missing out!

For now said...

I wonder if I will ever leave a period of my life not feeling this way. Feeling that half regret- especially about people/ friends, opening myself more up to the ones around me. You say everything so perfectly.

Ang- I am just crazy about you.