March 27, 2007

Gardening 101

My parents have one annual can't miss date - the SF Garden Show. I tagged along this year as their designated third wheel, James and Chase were respectively training wheels. It was so much fun. I am not a gardener - but I feel giddy learning and recognizing new flowers. The campanula (yes, I am name dropping) above is so delicate - I fell in love again.

Here's how it works: each nursery designs their own garden - complete with old fashioned cars, bridges, and ponds. For example, a few graduate students of Berkley designed an entirely recycled garden - taking wine barrels to a new dimension - using cork as stepping stones. Another group created a field of filled with flowers of subtly different yellow hues. So many fun ideas and gorgeous flowers all labeled. Perfect for the novice (me) and expert (my mom).


And then there are booths of everything from antique dough bowls to garden brooms. Who knew there would be such yummy treats at the garden show?! I bought four flavors of scones and the best lemon curd. I've never been really big on mixes - but all you have to add is cream and then bake - they are surprisingly light - hooray for Iveta Gourmet! And hooray for scones!

After talking with the designer of this darling book - my mom had to buy it. Its all about decorating with flowers and fruit; passion flowers and limes, artichokes mixed with roses, oranges and lillies. Emily is the one enlightening this fun avenue, she found the greatest flower arrangement with pears - and now we've got fruit on the brain thinking about wedding centerpieces.

4 comments:

jamieanne said...

What a great spring kickoff! That book looks like it is amazing. Such a clever title.

Ammon said...

I wish that my yard had more campanulas and less weeds and patches of clover. :(

Leslie said...

wow, that sounds SO fun. and that book is gorgeous. off to add it to my amazon wish list!

Ashley A. said...

I just saw this book on my friend's coffee table a couple of days ago and loved it! Funny how something pops up like that. I loooove flowers and am so jealous of the gardening show!