April 26, 2007

Scars

Little eyes notice the smallest things. There is genuine concern for the smallest scrapes and cuts. I watched as Chase found a scar on his Grandpa's arm - a motorcycle scar from many years ago. He carefully touched it, almost in reverence for what could have caused such a lasting mark.

I couldn't help but think of my own scars. Of course, the biggest I wear is a gash across my right thigh. The final reminder that I did, in fact, crash through a sliding glass door when I was eight. The story begins and ends when I mistakenly thought the door was open and hurried to be first outside. And although, the smaller cuts from the glass have long since vanished, this one clearly never will. A reminder of a mistake.

The emotional scars are of course deeper, but fewer in number. And sometimes they don't reflect personal mistakes - just deep sorrows and pains - the price of being human.

I think that's why I like this idea so much. I found it in a novel several years ago and was given the gift of new sight...

"Some people see scars and it is wounding they remember. To me they are proof of the fact that there is healing." Linda Hogan

Healing...what a gift. Somehow it allows me to find beauty in the gash I see as a part of me - a wonderfully strong, healed part of me. Its not the same, but almost better, because it shows that I fought a battle and came through mended.

5 comments:

For now said...

Cheerios has changed colors! I am not good with changes. . .

You showed me this quote a long time ago- and it has remained one of my favorites!

I too have watched little kids find scars and question the imperfection. I love that they notice the details.

jamieanne said...

What a wondrous idea. Thank you for sharing. This is a thought-provoking and inspiring post.

Annie said...

I love this post! What a great quote and a great perspective on the "scars" in our lives.

Ammon said...

Thanks for the beautiful post!
I miss living close to you and soaking up all of your knowledge!

P.S. Tag- you're it!

catherine said...

A wonderful quote that touches the deepest parts of my feebly thinking brain. Thanks for reminding me of that quote.