June 8, 2007

Room 22

So, today was my first day of school...first day teaching, that is. I am happy to report that fifth grade classrooms are still filled with girls that dot their i's with stars and hearts, notes about who is a "pussy" and who dumped who (yes, I actually confiscated a note being passed and saw the fear in the eyes of the note writer), and hangman.

It was the end of the year talent show, so I didn't have a hard lesson plan...but instead, I got to listen to nine-year old white chicks try and sing rap, a lot of knock-knock jokes, and even a few rock bands. My idea of a hilarious, rockin' good time.

The best compliment of the day (I think) was when Dylan (long blond hair, played the bass in the band, trouble maker) came up to me and asked, "Miss B, do you have a tongue ring?" and when I said no, he kept pestering, "I know I saw it, you have one, show me your tongue." I refused...but heard him say to another kid, "She was the best teacher, well, substitute teacher ever." I think all of this meant I was cool...he knew that I saw through his ploys...and still liked me. I'll take it.

Oh, and here's a joke from the talent show...
What's brown and sticky?
A stick!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny joke!

Leslie said...

yay for you mrs. b. you are gonna rock their world when you teach those kids. :)

Anonymous said...

Angie! That's awesome! I know that teaching takes so much courage! I know all your students will just fall in love with you! I am so happy for you! Love You! You can probably tell how excited I am for you by all the exclamation points, so just to top it off!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Angie I didn't know your were going to teach - wow this is sooo great. The greatest profession on earth. You will be an amazing teacher so dynamic you will be amazing.

Anonymous said...

I can image how wonderful of a teacher you are and will be, I'm excited for you and the children's lives that you will touch. They will all love you. I laughed when I saw your dads comment, I thought the joke was funny too.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, Ang! How lucky the kids are to have you as a sub! And there's something about a school talent show, isn't there? I still, to this day, love 'em (watching, not participating!).

Annie said...

Of course you were their favorite teacher ever! 5th graders are pretty strong critics as well. Glad that NYC didn't take the "save the world" out of you. :)

Lane said...

I remember you always wanted to do something with education, even way back in the college days. You have a gift for it. They are SO lucky to have Mrs. B.

Anonymous said...

"I wish I were in your class." - Mia, Andrew, and Me