June 27, 2007

Whisper Wednesday


St. Paul's Cathedral is one of my favorite places on earth. It takes 259 steps to get to the dome, and every step furthers your commitment and love of Sir Wren's masterpiece. In other words, it isn't easy, and you have to earn your reward. The reward is twofold: a gorgeous view of London from the air and the Whispering Gallery. Only a handful of buildings have this peculiar architecture where a whisper from one side actually carries all the way to the other. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it. You can tell from this picture - its quite a distance - and quite a phenomenon.


Anyhow, I've been teaching about Dome Architecture and we built domes out of gumdrops (well, geodesic domes to be particular). And that's why St. Paul's was on my mind. And as for Whisper Wednesday, the title...I think its the greatest idea and when I have a seven year old I am going to try it. The idea of only whispering for a whole day sounds so peaceful.

4 comments:

laurel said...

I love St. Paul's too. That was the highlight of our London trip last summer.

Kelley said...

"Feed the birds....tuppence a bag..." I trust that you sang a little of this Mary Poppins classic when you were there...

Leslie said...

ah, st. paul's. my last stop on my last day of things-to-do-before-i-leave-london-day.

have you been back since we left? NINE years ago? sheesh. i haven't, sadly.

angie said...

No, I haven't been back, sigh. Maybe its time to start planning a reunion.