July 29, 2007

Broadway by the Bay

I guess I should start by being honest...Broadway by the Bay is not Broadway. And if this show did dare to poke its head somewhere between 41st and 51st, the costumes, performances, and theater itself would be quickly yanked stage left, laughed at on its way out. But, James doesn't know that. And his awe was as real and genuine as I could hope. By the moment the first snare drum sounded - I could feel his excitement. At points in the performance he couldn't help himself. He would just stand up, wanting to join the performance in progress. And the clapping - he just loved to clap after each number - and then he'd look up at me. The little twinkle begged the question, "Do you see what I'm seeing?" It was precious and heart warming. And I could barely keep my eyes off of him. What a wonderful night his Nanna planned.

3 comments:

Ann said...

how wonderful! i feel the same way when i see any broadway musical! so glad james loved it and was completely enthralled--how fun!

catherine said...

The stage is magical! even at it's not so best.

Lane said...

I love your description of James's reaction! I could picture it perfectly. Sometimes it is so much fun to watch someone else watch something.

I feel you, James. I cry pretty much every time I see The Nutcracker Ballet, whether it's at Lincoln Center or a hometown performance.