July 30, 2007

Choose Your Own Adventure

"Mom, would you rather keep your body form and swim on? Or would you rather turn into an energy force?"

"Well, James, that is a good question. I think I'm leaning towards energy force."

"So am I! I have to turn to page 84 - do you want to read with me what's going to happen?"

"I do. I really do."

Do you remember Choose Your Own Adventure books? The first one I got for James really frustrated him because he really wanted to read it from start to beginning - and somehow read each of the options sequentially. But, you kind of have to give in and follow the path you choose. I mean, sure, you can go back a few times and see which way extends the story, but on the whole you have to go with it. Follow it through. Sometimes I wish that the decisions in life were as easy as choosing between page 57 and page 84.

5 comments:

Ann said...

I love Choose Your Own Adventure!! When I was in Israel, we found some in the center's library and stayed up all night reading them! (I'm a nerd, I know) It would be nice if all of our decisions were that easy-and if there were only 2 options...might be easier to pick out the right versus the wrong.

Anonymous said...

MAN 4th period sophmore year of high school...CYOA saved my sanity

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about these with a friend. Love them. Glad to hear they're still in print!

Ammon said...

CYOA books were the best, especially for those reading contests where you'd get a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut after finishing x-number of books! Ah, the memories...

Kelley said...

My friends and I would write our own CYOA books for each other during class--love them!