August 6, 2007

Austen Snob

Old Grouchy Lady (a Lady Katherine DeBourgh type) says to young Jane Austen, "What is she doing?"

A sister replies, "Writing."

Old Lady Response, "Can anything be done about that."

Thank goodness no one is going to tell me to stop writing...even though there are times I probably should. I know that without an editor, I probably get too winded. But writing is such a release. So, here's a lot about a little -- a stream of consciousness, because I can.

I couldn't decided about going to see this newest Jane Austen movie - because lets be real - its not a Jane Austen movie. Somebody wealthy wants to capitalize on the cult like fans of other Austen books turned into movies. I've personally seen all versions of the Pride and Prejudice - including earlier and later BBC versions. So, I guess I am that target audience - the cult member without realizing it. But, I really can't get enough of Austen's language. She uses words I drool over - words I couldn't ever work into conversation - but wish I could. She is hysterical too - I can hear lines like "I would have been a great proficient, had I ever learned" -- love it. She is so sarcastic - I can't help but chuckle. Austen seems to mock so many groups - wealthy people with no prudence, women who do nothing but drool over men, all people without intellect. And I think that I, myself, am a mocker. I mean, not really, never on a one on one basis. But in general, I seem to have an opinion. Like about the movie. I decided I couldn't keep myself away. The dresses, the romance, I had to go. And although, it doesn't work out happily ever after like the movies - the real was refreshing. And because I guess I am a sell out - I have to don my mother the true crown - she is officially an Austen Snob who won't see the flick. And that's why I love her (although, I'm hoping she'll sell out after reading one little portion of the real letter from Jane Austen to her sister...)

On 16 January 1796, there is another mention of him in a letter.
Friday. -- At length the day is come on which I am to flirt my last with Tom Lefroy, and when you receive this it will be over. My tears flow as I write at the melancholy idea.


Its just enough to build on - and I'm a sucker for romance. And hello, James McAvoy - I really fell for their tete a tete. It just makes sense. Ok, my word hoard is over - but watch out - there's more ink where this comes from.

7 comments:

Ann said...

don't ever stop writing! you are my very own jane austen...i just eat up everything you write and love it so much! write, write, write!

Anonymous said...

I too love your comments, critiques, and chatter. Keep it up! Write, write, right!?!

Ammon said...

I want to see this movie, however, as I get older, and movie tickets get more pricey, I only want to see movies that end "happily ever after." After all, isn't there enough sadness and tragedy in real life?

Psst,... Still, I'll probably go see it on a girls night out, but I'll cry and look like a blubbering idiot in front of the gals... so embarrassing!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what movie you are talking about - pathetic - I'll blame it on being out of the country for a week....but keep writing! You must. Where would I be without you.

angie said...

Its called Becoming Jane - so its supposed to be about her own love affair...

angie said...

Really...after reading just her words in the letter you quoted...(superb) how could one want to go and see a pimped version of the "what sells best" type. I am indeed an Austen snob.

ali said...

I have been so curious about this movie. I didn't realize how much I liked Austen until about three years ago. Something finally clicked ... maybe it was the mockery or the stellar vocab.

Thanks for the review! Now I really want to see it. :)