August 7, 2007

Here we go...

So, it looks like my chance to over-program my child starts now. I just received my back-to-school packet and have the opportunity to sign James up for...
fencing
spanish
french
math
one on one basketball
engineering fundamentals
chess
sports
...and of course, these are only the activities provided at the school. So, I have a longer list if I look at the community. Here's the thing - how am I to pick the one or two things. And I shutter to think of the people doing it all - because some people just do.

Its times like this that I realize I am in the slow lane - just permanently stuck here. I like activities - James has done music, art, swimming, gymnastics over the years - but I can only do about one thing at a time. And then I like to sit down and take a deep breath and do a whole lot of nothing for awhile. I really like it when there isn't a mad rush to drive here - do this. I am just not a do-er. Sigh. But here I go...non do-er about to enter a very doing time.

11 comments:

Annie said...

I don't know how you would decide with all those activities. I keep telling myself only one activity at a time--no need to burn everyone out. There are just so many wonderful things to expose our children to. Can't wait to see what you picked. Engineering fundamentals sounds really fun. ;)

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

That list is rather amazing. I struggle with the idea of overscheduled kids. I am still enjoying Isaac climbing trees and catching bugs and only having to watch the clock for meals and bedtimes. I use to think after kindergarten I would sign him up for more things-now I am thinking after first grade. Fencing sounds enticing-are you sure there is not a class on spell casting? I am sure James would thrive in that! That list does remind me the Harry Potter series and the course choices at Hogwarts.

Anonymous said...

Angie, where on earth is James going to school? He's 5 and can sign up for . . . fencing!?!? engineering fundamentals!?!?, etc.

Why not start 'em off with something more age-appropriate like jeet kun do, or linear algebra?

Ammon said...

I'm with you... I like the hectic madness of doing, but I crave the quiet calm of not doing!

BreAnna said...

you will be great, I can't think of anyone better to do what is right for their child. Sometimes being a kid while you still are a kid is worth more than any programming activities!

jamieanne said...

I'll take fencing and engineering fundamentals. And maybe throw in some Spanish for good measure.

Anonymous said...

Hey ang, i think "math" is a pretty typical thing to be participating in at shcool, so don't worry about that one

kristen said...

fencing! go with fencing! now there's a skill that will ALWAYS come in handy.

Anonymous said...

Engineering fundamentals? really? in kindergarten? what's that about? I remember mine and my classmates main activity was playing "kissy tag" every recess. When the bell rang we would all cautiously emerge from the classrooms and some brave soul would yell out "girls chase boys" and all mayhem would break loose. Kids would be running for their little lives. We literally did this every day, for months. it was all fun and games until one day Mary Kormanack pinned John Murray up against a fence and planted one on him. I remember staring in horror as the dreaded kiss silenced the crowd. It was the first time someone actually got kissed, and I don't think we ever played again. Good luck trying to teach them Spanish . . . Just kidding, but really that's amazing! I can't wait to hear what James ends up learning!

ali said...

You could have a Max Fischer on your hands, Angie!

Author said...

I recommend taking my route: doing anything and everything for six months or less and then quitting. Who needs to be an expert, nay, even proficient, in anything? All hail the skittish quitters who own 30 different pairs of cleats, know how to plays scales on seven instruments and can find a bathroom/order a glass of lemonade in any corner of the world!