September 6, 2007

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Or I could title this...Attack of the Mary Kay



You need the back story to appreciate this tale. My mother is a rescuer. She has been know to leap from the passenger side of the car to shepherd cats and dogs to safety (even in low traffic neighborhoods). All of our family pets have some history of neglect...a peeing disorder in the case of Poopy the beagle (that really was the dog's name - what did we expect). I can say in all firmness that my mother hasn't brought home a goat yet, but she very well could. Animal or person - the common thread is drama.



Now, Dawn is drama - a very nice woman - but drama. She is the kind of girl who keeps falling in love with the men in jail and hoping she'll turn their drug using ways around. This is a direct quote from my mother, "Junior is such a nice man when he isn't high."



Dawn drives a school bus (sometimes just around town) and seems to always have a new business venture; currently Mary Kay. So when Dawn offered to come over my mother couldn't say no (she never says no). In fact she knows that she will be giving Dawn money, so would rather do it through makeup sales. Well, little did she know that she would be sacrificing her face in the process. When I walked in on the two, I had the hardest time keeping my laughter in. I have NEVER seen my mom look like this. I'm afraid Dawn's hasn't done a lot of makeup on white women - the result is tragedy...or comedy, depending on your eye. Click on the picture to see it in all its glory. Pink lipstick you couldn't use on a corpse. Eyebrows painted like a clown. For two hundred dollars, you too can look this good.







I'm not sure why good deeds have to be punished...perhaps its a reward at the end of the day. A pink, glossy reward you didn't know you wanted.

15 comments:

Leslie said...

that is hilarious, angie. neal's mom was the same way. she was best friends with every checkout girl at every grocery store in town. or at least she knew all their problems. :)

i don't think your mom looks bad at all! but then i've never seen her real face . . . :)

how goes kindergarten?

Granum Family said...

You should be a writer! I love this! Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Great attempt at a smile Catherine, I love it. How did you ever keep a straight face Angie?

jamieanne said...

Lalalalove it! Truly a work of art. And an unfortunate punishment.

catherine said...

Your writing is delicious and your mom? wow - like, who is she?

hannah m said...

This is too funny! I think there's something about Mary Kay NOT being the most subtle of makeup...didn't we have Mary Kay makeovers in junior high, Ang? I have this vision of green eye shadow & bright pink glossy lips. So, Catherine, you are not alone!

Ann said...

I can hear your mom's laughter when I look at this picture! Your writing tells the story perfectly-such an enjoyable read!

Ammon said...

Oh my gosh! I love this post...poetic!
Also, the look of pride on Dawn's face is brillant!

P.S. I get the reference to bringing home a goat! Those were the days!!

BreAnna said...

your sweet mother, I have to say however this is terribly funny! What a sweet woman!

Annie said...

The looks on these two women is priceless--pride and fear. I love it.

I, too, have been attacked by MaryKay. However, I am not as nice as your mother that is for sure! My MaryKay gal (my visiting teachee) told me to try it out for 30 days (this was after several attempts to tell her I wanted nothing more than their cheapest product please) and if I didn't like it I could return it. what she didn't mention was that she would be gone in 30 days and that her brother would be in the district in the MTC next to me and would send a pic to his sister who would recognize me as the girl who never paid her and hunt me down on my mission for money. Punished. :)

ali said...

Your mom is a sweetheart.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I do not know what is more amusing- the make up job or the proud look on Dawn's face and the slight worried look on your moms. Thanks for the good laugh!

angie said...

hannah, i am pretty sure we did have a mary kay party, now that you mention it...my first introduction to makeup was probably at your kitchen table...what a happy memory!

For now said...

I have come back to this blog so many times, just to make me laugh and laugh! And the phrase, "Junior is such a nice man, when he isn't high" is my best favorite thought lately!

Lane said...

I love this post! So well-written and the photo is the perfect ending.

Catherine really is a hero, not only for going through with the whole thing, but for letting you take a picture!