October 10, 2007

love, from Emily

Name: Emily, Angie’s sister

I remember that I wanted to be Angie from the moment I realized I wasn’t her. And now that we are older and we simply talk every day I still endeavor to be like her in so many ways: her strength, her patience, her wisdom, her joys, her excitements, her love, her intuition, her leadership, her comfort in herself, her creativity, her passion, her beauty.

I remember that when something fabulous happens in my life I call Angie. When something heartbreaking happens, I call Angie. When I don’t know how to spell a word, I call Angie. When I feel anxious and don’t know why, I call Angie. I remember that anytime we say our goodbyes I am brave and then I cry and cry and cry.

I remember Angie is always our ringleader--Double Dare in the backyard, our black berry adventures, playing mansion in the backyard where we have to drive from room to room. Waffelblock sculptures including the car in our front room. All Mother’s Day /Fathers Day breakfasts in bed. (Even ABC’s of wedding?) And as we have gotten older we all automatically turn to our Ang. Are we going to have fun at the beach? Are we going to the farmer's market? I remember that everything is better if Angie is around.

I remember singing for hours to “See me run . . . running around in circles . . .” Evita, “Another Suitcase on Another Hall” Les Miserable, “On My Own” (mostly sitting on the theater).

I remember putting on shows--Shows on the fireplace, shows on the swing set, and shows on the front grass. We needed boys to dip us and spin us, so we convinced Ben and Pat to put on leotards and join in. (From then on out, Ben was appointed Angie’s, Pat mine.)

I remember Angie loves shoes. One of her first favorites were those red rainbowish fabric striped ones.

I remember Angie went through a stage her freshman year of college were she had recurring dreams about Britney Spears.

I remember that Angie ate cheese sandwiches for an entire year until she moved to New York. I remember that Angie makes cookies almost every day, this might be the best thing about her.

I remember that Lynette and I threw Angie a surprise baby shower and I was in charge of the food. I told Angie about the shower. One thing led to another, and she made all the food for her own surprise baby shower. (The one thing leading to another was me asking) Amongst other things she made her chicken salad, and a divine cranberry salad that everyone raved about. When people kept telling me what an amazing cook I was, and they needed the recipe, we exchanged hidden smiles and I went along with it all.

I remember watching Angie drive up to my house with two Gerbera daisies and a note on one of my saddest days. Her encouragement is constant.

I remember sitting down often with Angie for help. To map out my life, math, boys, where to live, how much butter, what kind of butter--salted or unsalted?

I remember that I never laugh like I do with Angie. Her laugh is contagious.

I remember Angie loves the Gospel, and shares her love often. Her love shines from her in all she says and does. I remember the first person I call after every session of General Conference is Angie.

I remember Angie goes to bed thinking about how she can be a better mom. Thinking about what she can do with her James and her Chase tomorrow. I remember Angie learned with James at a young age that if she went into his room and saw him standing in his crib and said, “Good morning!!!!!!!!!!!” Her tone so excited and so cheerful, then the entire day was brighter. The tradition has not stopped.

5 comments:

Ammon said...

I'm in shock! No one ever told me that you KNEW about your "surprise" baby shower! You little sneak!

I remember...Angie is the best secret keeper I know!!

catherine said...

What a beautiful tribute. Emily loves you sooo much, she has soooo much love to give, that's what we get from Emily.

catherine said...

I forgot...I also love how much Angela LOVES the gospel. It always inspires me.

Lane said...

I love how much Emily and Angie love each other. They have the same love for life and big, happy laughs.

The first line of this is great--so sisterly. Thanks, Emily! It would not have been the same without your musings.

angie said...

i really think you help bring out my best - or perhaps its just that you are looking for the best in those you are with - you are a gift to me