December 6, 2007

Trees, etc.

This morning at James' school, we were being presented to the class. He is sunshiner of the week and got to bring his family today. All of the children were asking us questions. One little boy asked, "What is your favorite tree?" James said redwood without thinking twice. I said any willow; but truthfully need more time to answer such a question. Grammy said oak. And Chase said, "orange." He-Hee, I thought, what's an orange tree. I pictured an orange trunk, well something like this:


but when I went searching for an image of an imaginary orange colored tree, this is what I found:



duh! Of course I know oranges do grow on trees...orange trees; but that's not what I thought of, at all...well, in my defense, an orange colored tree could be lovely. Sometimes I look straight to the obvious and not beyond.

Do you have a favorite tree? (Is that something people have favorites of, anyway?)

11 comments:

Kyndra said...

Weeping Willow - when I lived in Italy when I was 3 years old we lived across the street from the most gorgeous home with a huge weeping willow in the front yard. I thought it was so lovely and romantic. I have been asked before what my favorite tree was, and for 26 years it has remained the same.

Ammon said...

I know I HATE pine trees. The needles, the mess... hate it!

Also, my grandmother had a tree in her yard, I'm not sure what kind, but it was beautiful. The bark was smooth, the leaves were soft, it was so pretty. Do you know what kind of tree I'm talking about?

RATCH said...

Magnolia Trees! I love the Big Big blossoms! Your blog is awesome btw :)

Ammon said...

Crape Myrtle! How could I forget that? Oh, and I forgot to mention the blooms--gorgeous! Hers (my grandmother's) was white.

Author said...

I love redwoods, but I also love aspens and birches and willows... you're right, ang, it's a tough question.

angie said...

crape myrtle - never heard of it, but i looked it up - its beautiful!

Megan said...

I love the maple tree we have in our backyard - mostly because it turns a gorgeous shade of red in the fall.

hannah m said...

Crepe Myrtles (the pink ones) and Jacoranda trees. My grandma taught me about both of those.

And I love the tree in my backyard, but I don't know what kind it is.

catherine said...

Giant oak, cause they are so majestic and twisty. Willows, cause I swung constantly on a huge one at my cousins, and I love "Swinger of Birchers" by Robert Frost. (read it****)Jacaranda - Every summer we walk past a jacaranda that drops it's purple leaves all over the green yard it's gorgeous. Maples, Oh yes, I love their leaf shape and their colors, colors. I feel a kinship to trees.

Lane said...

I love aspen. They're pretty alone, but a grove of aspen is tinkly and spotty; somehow a grove of aspen is more than a sum of its parts in a way that other trees don't achieve.

Natalee Maynes said...

I adore the scraggly looking trees that grow in abundance here in California. I believe they are some kind of oak but I KNOW in the spring when they are in their full green splendor they make me feel like I'm in a fairytale or maybe just in the shire.