January 31, 2008

How Did I Miss This...


“A yellow dot is looming on the horizon and coming toward the banks. His arrival causes big gatherings and astonishment. “The Duck” does not have any border, it does not discriminate between people and does not convey any political message. He only represents a friendly figure shining forth with its bright yellow, all along its journeys to calm down the world tensions”
– Florentjin Hofman

Title: Rubber duck
Year: 2007
Location: river the Loire, France
Dimensions: 26 x 20 x 32 meters
Materials: inflatable, rubber coated PVC, pontoon and generator
Production: le Lieu Unique and the Biennial Estuaire

I just discovered Florentjin Hofman and wonder how I could miss something this, well, large and yellow. I mean, a duck is news to me. Well, a duck of this size, to be precise. If it weren't for random posts I would miss out...but then again, am I missing out. Is a duck news?
I feel myself rather torn. Am I missing out because I spend to much time doing this. Sometimes I find myself thinking: Why haven't they updated, it feels like forever. And other times it is more like: How can they post so much. I can't find time to sit and write, how do they do it, and do it so well? Torn. You get it.


I had to laugh when I found this graphic...ok, I get it. It can be isolating, but it feels so connecting. And I have to admit I like to see my inbox full; it's just friendlier. And it doesn't feel so fake keeping up with friends. But sometimes I wonder if I should stop and put my energy into a more tangible journal. Do you ever wonder, or is it just me?

6 comments:

Ammon said...

YES! I wonder about this daily! Is my life passing me by whilst I sit here trying to think about things in my life to blog about? Oh, the irony.

Melissa said...

Awesome. That graphic is just priceless, and a perfect description of our world today. I waste tons of time on the internet.

hannah m said...

I wonder every day.

But at least for now, blogging is serving a purpose. It keeps me on the lookout for joyful moments, little things that I may not otherwise notice or record. And I'm thankful for that. I know I won't blog forever, but for now the positive benefits are outweighing the wondering if I'm sitting in front of this screen too much.

Kyndra said...

I figure that blogging is the new 21st century version of a journal. I am not a journal writer despite the commandment to do so, therefore I use this as my journal, print it off, and feel slightly holier for it :-)

Sarah Jean said...

Blogging is a wonderful way to keep up with friends. Brandon told me once that he would love to have as many comments to his blog as Angie gets. Friends sustain you through so much. Maybe we should be printing out our blogs and keeping them in a binder for our kids to read some day. Keep up the blogging we love it.

laurel said...

Ang - Don't ask me why I know this because it's just a really random discovery - but today (Feb 1) is your 1 year blogging anniversary!