January 9, 2008

Stream of Consciousness

Warning: this stream of consciousness might not make sense...so read on at your own risk

i swear self-doubt is a creaping creature i can not rid myself of. [deep breath] i went back to the doctor because i'm not producing any treasures, but at the same time, i'm not in that much pain. in fact, at some moments during the day i don't feel a thing. so, as i sat down with the doctor i expected him to say something like, you never had a kidney stone, you must have imagined it all. the pain. the emergency room. never happened. and because i have a vivid imagination, i was prepared to say, something like, woops. i was afraid i was wrong. [deep breath] but, thankfully i'm not delusional (or maybe i'd rather be wrong because then i wouldn't have to keep medicating and hoping and drowning myself in water), there is indeed a pea size stone inside my body. so, i was right. it did hurt. and sometimes still does. and its ok. and might take two weeks. and that's just what happens...but what are the kinds of things i do imagine? what am i wrong about. i seem to ask myself and doubt myself more than i should. i'll find an awesome book and then a month later i'll read about it somewhere and think, why didn't i tell everyone about that -why didn't i trust myself and my taste. perhaps i am just in a self-doubting phase that comes about when the rug is ripped from underneath you. or perhaps, my self-esteem isn't what it should be. no, that's not it. i fancy myself too much, truth be told. maybe its just what makes us human - questions, that is (not doubt). sigh. i can't think about this any longer, tomorrow. i'll think about it tomorrow. and for now, i'll remind myself that there are stones i like: diamonds, emeralds, sapphires (i just love sapphires), and obsidian with its jet black and shiny surface. yes, i'll just think about that now.

7 comments:

hannah m said...

2 things:
1* I love your stream of consciousness. I do my best thinking when I write and don't edit myself.
2* Self doubt has always been something I struggle with. But since I've had my own rug pulled out from under me, I'm ironically learning to trust myself and my instincts more. Your heart has been through a lot--maybe by allowing your waxing and waning self-doubt to do its thing is just part of the journey that you'll look back on in a time and understand. Maybe your body is just physically acting out what your heart and mind is experiencing--a metamorphosis, a purging of sorts.

Ammon said...

Can you please write a book because I want to read your thoughts all-day-long!
You should never doubt (or question) yourself--you're as close to perfect as it gets!

Annie said...

Oh, I am sooooooooooo sorry. that is not fun. I just finished a great book that I thought discussed self-doubt (wll, letting Satan in your mind)--Left to Tell. If you haven't read it, do it's great.

Anonymous said...

it surprises me that you have self doubt. You are "ask angie" for heaven's sake. we all come to your for advice, book recommendations, etc.

it took my dh 3 weeks to pass his stone. it finally passed in the atlanta airport mens room. is that tmi?

Anonymous said...

I love meandering with your thoughts...I have a stone collection I could lone you. One from Mt. Sinai, one from Bermuda, a few from Venezuela - my dad got me started, he would always find the perfect rock to take home to remind him of a trip.

kristen said...

I love reading your blog. You are a very talented writer. I'm so sorry you are sick! That is the worst. I'll send all my good healing energy your way! Good thing I am magic...

jamieanne said...

Yes indeed, keep your focus on the semi-precious/very precious stones. Then maybe it won't hurt so much.

By the way 'maybe I fancy myself too much'...classic.