January 7, 2008

the real E.R.

I hate it when my blog titles are right, because it indeed "Could Be Worse" and it has been. I've been spending my time between the bathroom and the hospital...don't you wish going to the hospital was a little bit more like tv: the fast dialog and pace of ER or the beautiful faces of Grey's Anatomy or I'd even take the the sarcastic rudness of Dr. House because at least his hospital seems clean. If only...


I've been having back pain, and when it became intolerable I knew it wasn't just a strained muscle. I knew that something was really wrong. After an emergency visit that lasted eight hours, an IV, a CT scan, and a good deal of morphine I learned that I have a kidney stone.


A kidney stone; doesn't that sound horribly daunting. Doesn't that sound like something that happens to other people and not you. Aren't I too young - or rather, I wish I was too young. What I learned is that it's just about managing the pain until it passes. Passes - ugh. Moving forward, I won't be using the term passes because its just sounds so terribly wrong. We use "pass" for gas and death - and I would rather not use it for little rocks forming inside my body. Because what business do little rocks have in my body?!

And as for the pain, I can only compare it to labor - truly. But, there won't be a cute little baby at the end which makes it all worthwhile. Yuck...

16 comments:

Carrie Hellewell said...

We missed your smiling face in Primary yesterday! I'm so sorry and hope you feel better soon!!

Ammon said...

No! How horrible! I'm so sorry! I hope that stone moves forward soon.
Is this the type of thing that is reoccurring?

hannah m said...

Oh, Ang. Hugs to you! Breathe, breathe and breathe some more. Hoping that bugger of a stone makes its exit very, very soon.

Leslie said...

oh man, no fun angie! my sister's friend has had several kidney stones in the past year or so. and he's only like 24. so apparently, you're not too young to get em. not like that helps any. best wishes for a quick passing.

you're right, that does sound totally bad. :(

Mindy and Tyler said...

I was thinking about the title of your last post after I talked to you last night. It would almost be funny if you weren't in so much misery. I hope you get the rocks out soon!

Ann said...

i'm so sorry! i hope you make it through quickly! ouchy!

Lys said...

OH NO!! A kidney stone does sound like something you only get if you're an old, wrinkly man. What business does that stone have in a young, beautiful girl?

laurel said...

Oh no! I am so sorry Ang! My mom had kidney stones and said it's as bad as labor. Thinking of you!

RATCH said...

I am SO sorry... Dave had one a few years ago and I have never (I really mean never) seen him in that much pain. I cannot even imagine! You are in my thoughts and I hope you get feeling better soon and that little bugger makes an exit asap!

Heather G. said...

Already said it once, but I thought I'd actually post a comment since it's been a while....I really do hope you are able to rid yourself of the darn thing soon. Here's to aging.

Anonymous said...

I have never seen an ER doctor give morphine faster than when I took my husband there for a kidney stone.

That is a serious bummer.

Have fun peeing in a strainer!

familia Bybaran said...

Oh my goodness. YOu poor thing. My mission companion "passed" one of those on my mission and it was the worst thing ever (even just to watch). It is awful. I don't even think labor compares. Good luck. I hope it "passes" soon.

Meg said...

That is just terrible!! My mom used to get kidney stones so bad she would have to go to the hospital until they passed..The Dr's told her it was because she drinks to much Pepsi, which is very true :-) You poor thing!! At least you know what it is..

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your stone. I agree, hospitals are a nightmare and depressing. Hope you feel better soon. Thinking of you . . .

Kimmy Sunshine said...

Ang,

I'm so sorry to hear of your current trial, I hope that it passes soon. If you need anything let me know. Love ya.

Kyndra said...

I SOOOO feel your pain!! I had my first kidney stone at the young age of 21. I have had 6 kidney stones total I think (one when I was pregnant with Lexi and it came on at the seaport!) Oh they are AWFUL. I ended up in the ER a few times with mine as well. I am sooooo sorry!