June 5, 2008

Suckers


I've been spending time with the tomato plants that are in the backyard - they are James' actually. You see a few weeks back we each chose something to plant in the garden and have since been watching them grow. Chase's strawberries have been fruitful, and my dill delightful (the carrots, not so much).

James tomatoes are green and growing and take a lot of work. Every few days I remove the suckers. (A sucker is just a young leaf/stem that develops between two tomato stems and a mature leaf - right in the v. If you allow a sucker to grow, it will eventually produce fruit, but it will reduce the size of fruit on the vine above it because it intercepts nutrients coming up from the roots.)

As I snap off those selfish suckers I release the smell of summer, but can't help but think about the process. And, as always, the metaphor jumps out at me...the need to prune the things out of our lives that suck too much energy. The unimportant things that sometimes seem so important.

8 comments:

Kimmy Sunshine said...

That is so prolific and yet so true at the same time. Thanks for this reminder of what's important in life. How are the boys enjoying gardening? How's the new addition to the family, does he/she have a name yet?

barterboutique said...

I love how your gardening/inspiring mind works. Can I borrow it sometime?

Elise said...

I love the smell of tomatoes on the vine. My grandma always grows way more than she knows what to do with and I used to pick them and eat them whole like apples. Tomatoes from the store aren't even half as good.

hannah m said...

I have been thinking of your words since I read them this morning. And they ring so true with me right now. So, thank you for them.

(And thank you for the gardening tip, too.)

Annie said...

I love thinking about this. Thanks for getting me thinking about it. IN the meantime, enjoy your garden!

brooke said...

This is why I love reading your blog. I too love the way your mind works- thanks for sharing.

Annie said...

I always wondered why my tomato plants had small tomatoes.

catherine said...

what a great metaphor....definitly a talk.