September 12, 2008

Empty Up Top


I'm afraid it has happened and isn't going to change. Yesterday, I went to the grocery store for the basics: 1% milk, lactose free milk, bread...you get the idea. But, there was one item on my list that I couldn't forget: celery. I HAD to get celery. It was the one item we needed for dinner, and the main reason that I got in my car. But with my car full of bags of groceries and about a block from home it hit me: I've forgotten the celery. So, either I am missing a celery-size piece from my brain or else I'm loosing my short term memory. Can I blame "mommy brain" -- I don't think so. I think that each moment my mind is slowly turning to cream of wheat, no matter what I read, or what I do. I walk into a room and think to myself, you needed something in here, what was it? It then takes another ten minutes before I remember. I am sadly running on about half a cylinder...the attic is dusty and there is definitely no light on. And as I write, the only image I can think of is that empty headed scarecrow (he was a friendly bloke, though). And I keep singing this: "I've got no brain to hold me down" ...a song NOT from Wizard of Oz. In fact, it is from Pinocchio. And he is singing about freedom, "I've got no STRINGS to hold me down." Brain, String, Whatever. Something is up there, but at times I simply wonder what is to become of me. Perhaps just seven and eight grocery trips in one outing...

4 comments:

Annie said...

I had that same thought yesterday. I would swear my brainpower is 1/10 of what it used to be. Where has my memory gone?

hannah m said...

Ang, I can totally relate. This was the story of my life even before Vivian was born (now I just have the option to blame it on mommy brain)!

But I have to disagree - your brain is a beautiful thing, forgotten celery and all.

Mason Manor said...

Ang, I am right there with ya! Every time I go to the store (which is like 3-4 times a week lately) I always forget at least one thing. In fact, I just sent Dan to the store to get what I forgot to get earlier today. Dan doesn't understand how I come home from the store, walk right to the fridge to write on my shopping list all the things I forgot. Now if I could only remember to bring the list...

The Queen said...

I do that all. the. time. Drives me crazy.