September 8, 2008

Remember


I found this picture, and immediately wanted to kiss James' four year old cheeks and scoop my barefoot one year old up into my arms. I want to, somehow, go back and make sure I was really living every moment. Because the truth is, I feel like I am prone to forgetting. My world is busy with the now. For example, this morning, when the clock was chiming eight o'clock Chase exclaimed, "The clock is telling us good morning!" His excitement was enchanting and in that moment I think every age is my favorite age, especially this one (whatever this is at the moment). But I don't want to forget. So, as of this moment I can't decide if time is my friend or my enemy. But as for today, my mantra will be: remember.

4 comments:

hannah m said...

I totally get this - the desire to remember is overwhelming for me sometimes. And yet, I know it can't all be captured - and when I see an old photo or taste a taste or smell a smell and a moment I thought was lost is remembered, that is such a great gift!

lynette said...

I think about this all the time. I'll see old pictures of when Carly was little and wonder, "How come I don't remember this?" But more than anything I wonder if I loved her then as I much as I do now and if I was really present in every moment. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the day to day things I feel their childhood passing me by. That's when I tend to hold them a little closer and kiss them a little longer. It all goes by so fast.

Meg said...

I love this photo! I remember when they were that age. It really is amazing how easy it is to forget the small things...

Elise said...

I remember this age! I know that they're big boys now, but this is always how I picture them.

I also remember bringing Dallin home from the hospital in that very carseat, which you kindly passed on to us. Thank you!