July 17, 2009

Book Eating Boy


I was just introduced to a darling picture book by Oliver Jeffers, The Incredible Book Eating Boy...a book about my son. James wanted to read 75 books through the library's summer reading program and he finished in under a month. There are a handful of picture books and choose your own adventures (don't worry, he chose every adventure). But, he truly must have been eating them instead of reading them.

For posterity, here is the list:
The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan
The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl
Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Swordbird by Nancy Yi Fan
And Nobody Got Hurt 2 by Len Berman
Prisoner of the Ant Peopleby R. A. Montogmery
Summer Ball by Mike Lupica
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Eagle by Jeff Stone
Snake by Jeff Stone
The Pocket Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn Inggulden and Hal Iggulden
Go! The Whole World of Transporation
Fast Forwards by Paul Ladewski
The Gecko and Sticky: Villian's Lair by Wendelin Van Draanen
Nicholas Again by Rene Goscinny
Nate the Great and the Tardy Tortoise by Craig Sharmat and Marjorie Sharmat
Nate the Great San Francisco Detective by Mitchell Sharmat and Marjorie Sharmat
Redwall by Brian Jacques
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules by Jeff Kinney
The Battle of the Labrynth by Rick Riordan
The Fabulous Bouncing Chowder by Peter Brown
Chowder by Peter Brown
Fireman Small by Wong Herbert Yee
The Million Dollar Shot by Dan Gutman
Give My Regrets to Broadway by Bruce Hale
Percy Jackson and the Olympians The Demigod Files by Rick Riordan
Encyclopedia Brown Solves them All by Donald J Sobol
The Dragonslayers by Bruce Coville
Escape by R A Montgomery
Jackie and Me by Dan Gutman
The Tales of King Arthur Retold by Felicity Brooks
The Capture by Kathryn Lasky
Skunkdog by Emily Jenkins
Timothy and the Strong Pajamas by Viviane Schwarz
The Great Brain by John D Fitzgerald
Michael Jordan by Chip Lovitt
Monkey by Jeff Stone
On the Field with Peyton and Eli Manning by Matt Christopher
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Sword Thief by Peter Lerangis
Joe Montana's Art and Magic of Quarterbacking by Joe Montana
I Know and Old teacher by Anne Bowen
Peter and the Secret of Rundoon by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
The Malted Falcon by Bruce Hale
A Book by Mordecai Gerstein
My Life as a Chicken by Ellen A Kelly
Center Court Sting by Matt Christopher
The Mystery of the Maya by R A Montgomery
The Monsters of Morley Manor by Bruce Coville
Trouble is my Beeswax by Bruce Hale
Charlie Small Gorilla City by Charlie Small
The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex
The Lost Jewels of Nabooti by R A Montgomery
Nicholas and the Gang by Rene Goscinny
Fireman Small Fire Down Below by Wong Yee
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Dr. De Soto by William Steig
The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Leigh Stewart
Red Dragon Codex by R D Henham
The Perfect Nest by Catherine Friend
Scritch Scrath by Miriam Moss
The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss
One by Kathryn Otashi
I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X by Bruce Coville
The Kid Who Became President by Dan Gutman
Farewell My Lunch Bag by Bruce Hale
The Evil Power Master by RA Montomery
Space and Beyond by R A Montgomery
The Basket Counts by Matt Christopher
The Million Dollar Strike by Dan Gutman
Abner and Me by Dan Gutman
The Big Nap by Bruce Hale
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

14 comments:

Mason Manor said...

Wow! James is AMAZING! Good for him! I wish I could read all those books! (let alone in a month!) We enrolled Hannah in our library's summer reading program too. She probably reads 25 books a day (but they are Dr. Suess)! I LOVE kids who love to read! Hooray for James!
PS We are coming next week and Hannah wants to visit your boys!

Shanna said...

That's impressive. What a champ!

Shanna said...

oh....and ask him which was his favorite?

hannah m said...

Vince and I loved perusing this collection of books James has enjoyed this so far this summer. James has a knack for variety - Joe Montana's Art and Magic of Quarterbacking to Coraline (which has been on my to-read list for some time) - does James recommend it?

Ann said...

wow! lucy was also reading (or being read to) for a summer reading program, but our list has LOTS of repeats. i should take his list to the library and check out what he read-we're on about the same reading level! way to go, james!

angie said...

Shanna,he couldn't narrow it to one. So his top three are: Eragon, The Mysterious Benedict Society, and the Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (the sequel).

Hannah, James says that he would recommend Coraline if you like spooky stories and haunted houses. It isn't your regular haunted house because it is the mirror image of the house she lives in and the people have black buttons instead of eyes.

The scary thing is that this is his regular pace...I could add twenty more since he officially completed this list!

brooke said...

Unbelievable. I don't think I even thought about books at that age. That is more than 2 a day!! What a perfect picture btw! He is a such a great kid Ang.

Cheryl said...

Tell James he is just so amazing and such a great and kind friend too. James is an all-round awesome kid!

laurel said...

He read ALL OF THOSE in under a month?? I don't think I could do that! Some of those are big books! Wow, James, wow!

Jen Mo said...

Very nice list. I'm glad the Trenton Lee Stewart books were in his top three. I love that Benedict Society. Also, I'm glad that you love The Incredible Book Eating Boy! Oliver Jeffers is definitely one of my favorite children's book authors! Now for the obvious question: What is on YOUR summer reading list?

angie said...

Jen, I just finished reading the seventh Harry Potter again...and I put Follet's Pillars of the Eart in my bag yesterday, so there is a faint chance I will actually get to start it!

Anonymous said...

James you are my hero!!! I love our "book eating boy!!!!" Great list! Last year Uncle Kim and I read with a class of 4th graders. They were just reading some of "your books" for the first time. ENJOY the Grand Canyon! Come for a visit and sleep over! Bring your Mom and Chase too!!! Love Aunt Susan

Roy said...

W O W

Lane said...

When I was a kid I won a book-reading contest by accident--I wasn't trying to win, I just liked reading books A LOT. I'm sure James puts my record to shame!!

I'm glad someone is still reading books--hooray for the book reading boy!