July 14, 2009

Cornrows

I am not averse to putting terrible pictures of myself up (see exhibit A)...and in this case, I had no choice. This particular photo is the only one I have that shows my cornrows. I went to girls camp in the Sierras and had Ridi braid my hair.

It was so weird to go back as an adult leader and see behind the scenes how much hard work goes into making camp run.

I felt small beside the pine trees, but more alive at the same time. But besides the girls and the majesty, my favorite part was serenading. After the lights go out, the older girls go around and serenade all of the girls.

This is the chorus of one of my favorite songs (I actually use it as one of my standard bedtime lullabies):

It’s a web like a spider’s web
Made of silver light and shadows
Spun by the moon in my room at night
It’s a web made to catch a dream
Hold it tight ‘til I awaken
As if to tell me my dream is all right

9 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm so glad you went Angie and your memories bring back sweet ones for me too. I remember when Kasa Vimahi would braid the hair of every girl in camp. And I loved the singing too.

Mackenzie said...

We sang that song at camp too. And I just love it and also sing it as a lullaby! Sweet!

hannah m said...

I have such happy memories of that summer I went to Girls' Camp with you, Ang. I honestly can't remember if I got my hair braided or not, but I know there was a lot of hair braiding going on. I just love that you went back this summer! And your cornrows are adorable!

Sarah Jean said...

I've never heard that song, can you sing it to me sometime. Miss all you guys - love ya.

Ann said...

ahhh, girls camp. it wouldn't be complete without braiding hair. it's weird to go back as a leader, isn't it? there is definitely something magical about girl's camp. your girls were lucky to have you there as a leader.

brooke said...

The girls were lucky to have you Ang and I think it is a cute picture!

laurel said...

Love the cornrows. Reminds me of braiding my hair for camp with my friend Becky and not showering for 7 straight days. Nasty. What camp do you go to?

(I hated girls camp. I'm sure I'm destined to be a leader some day.)

Kimmy Sunshine said...

Ah what memories you've brought back to me. I love girls camp both as a youth and a leader. I echo the sentiments of others the girls are indeed lucky to have you as one of their leaders as the leaders are lucky to have you as well.

Love you.

Nikki CB said...

yay Girls Camp!