November 12, 2009

Nothing Sweet About It

When I watched SYTYCD this week the Mandy Moore number really hit me. No, it wasn't because I was reminded of the other Mandy Moore (who stole my heart in A Walk to Remember--scary, I know). And no, it wasn't because I was watching one of my favorite two shows (Glee is the top favorite these days). It was the cane, the cane.

You see, I have been hobbling around on a cane for the past two weeks. I reinjured the soccer ankle in a game AGAIN. And when I went to the doctor they said that I needed crutches. But, you see, crutches and I are deep enemies. In high school there was a long walk down Coleman Avenue on a rainy afternoon with crutches and since then, I can't bear the thought. My arms literally start protesting (and who I am kidding, I would need my arms in a fight). So, I asked her if there was anything else I could do. A cane was her only other suggestion.

So, with thoughts of Hugh Laurie from House and Fred Astaire's dancing cane, I reconciled myself to the cane I now own. And when I saw two people dance with a cane, it hurt inside because I don't make my cane look fabulous. In fact, I have started to leave it behind, much to Chase's chagrin.

Opposed to me, Chase loves the cane. James loves the cane. They even loved the medical supply store where we bought it. Picture Chase driving the motorized scooter around the parking lot and James in his wheelchair. When James sat down in the chair he honestly said, "I could live in this thing," and then begged me to buy him one the rest of the time. Who knew?

Now to the point of this tangent: I hate not being able to walk. It is tragic and reminds me with every step how good I had it. I love legs and the ability to move. I love ankles that twist and a body that can run. And I am determined to be more thankful...because I really do have it good!

2 comments:

brooke said...

I can just picture James and Chase driving the scooter and wheelchair around! It is amazing what a great lesson we learn when something as simple as our ankle (or toe ;) ) doesn't function well. I hope you are feeling better! Have I told you how great you are? Big Hugs!

hannah m said...

So bummed about the soccer ankle, Ang...
I can relate to the medical accessories fascination that James and Chase have...I remember being their age and longing for crutches or a cast to be signed or a retainer (?!!).
I love your knack for finding the flip side in icky situations, but I do hope you'll be walking cane-free oh so soon, my friend!