March 1, 2007

Wall Street

This is the Wall Street image most people think of...

...here was my reality. This picture was taken a year ago at the Wall Street Subway stop. We were taking the 4/5 who knows where. The plastic was over the stroller and no one in a suit was offering to help - sometimes I complained - but in retrospect, my arms were a lot stronger then they are now.
I have thought about it and life can be seen as a series of doors and stairs. The only truth I know is that there is a lot of climbing and a lot of options - which door and which stair. But the day that I feel like I have arrived or like there isn't anything to change about myself, is a terrible day. Because it is only in the climbing that we grow. Here are a few things I have learned (and relearned) about myself and life the last few months:
  1. Hard things suck...but what a gift to have friends and family support me
  2. Its actually ok to give in and not know what tomorrow holds - its really hard, but the less control I scramble for, the more free I feel
  3. The more love and forgiveness I feel, the happier I am--real happiness
  4. I'm ok - "just as I am" (thank you Bridget Jones)
  5. I am such a wonderfully blessed woman - I really feel lucky that I have a James and a Chase - my life is richer looking at life through their eyes
  6. Life is fun - and worth dancing through - really dancing - and boy did I dance to "Hey Ya" today (thank you Outkast)

11 comments:

Ashley A. said...

Angie, I just got back from New York and walked by that flag on wall street and ironically carried a stroller down those very stairs. The first time I took Max to New York I came home with a strained shoulder. I've got to hand it to New York moms. Everything is harder with kids, yet I feel happy in ways I didn't know were possible.

Megan said...

Angie, you truly are an amazing person. Everything you say is spot on and so well put. Those doors and stairs seem to be in the wrong place, but it'll be interesting later on to look back and see where they've led. :)

Katie said...

Angie,

You continue to inspire me in every way. I find myself constantly telling Brian, I wish I had Angie's brain. All of the amazing ways you teach and play with your boys, the way you have endless and unconditional love for those around you, and how you keep on diving into life (making the most of each day when its good and when its hard). I am so lucky to be your friend!

xo
Katie

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I had someone follow me around town for a day and take pictures of all the silly/amazing/talented/crazy things we do as moms in NYC. I love the picture of you walking down the stairs. Stairs and doors are right - where are all the escalators and elevators to make life a little easier? (Though, those come with their own problems - like stinky, stinky smells in "no touch!" elevators and store managers who tell you that strollers are not allowed on escalators - okay, so they have all those pictures and warnings against it, but come on....) I guess it is all in the journey and appreciating the "no touch!" elevators along the way.

jamieanne said...

Love this. Love Bridget (just as she is). Love this post. Bravo!

Roy said...

Want to arm wrestle?

Annie said...

Such a great visual. I am really glad that I never had to do the subway thing with the stroller. You moms were amazing. I cried the day that I left the house and couldn't get a cab to take for Kate's two week appointment. Needless to say, we moved. :) I love the perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

the good thing about staying at the robinson's, is that you don't need an alarm clock... every morning you'll awake to almost speaker popping "hey ya" throughout the house. lol

For now said...

Who says "hey ya"?- Oh, it makes me want to be there so bad!

I love this picture of you Ang. It is one of my favorites. I feel like it says everything about you New York City mom's!

Ammon said...

How did you do that?! Ugh! I thought I had a hard enough time pushing around those Car-shopping carts with two kids and groceries- but needless to say there are no stairs at the grocery store- but now I kinda wish there were-where would they go and what could you buy there? hmmmmm...

Lane said...

I love this photo. It really says it all.

I have to admit, I am usually one of those people who pushes past strollers and rolls my eyes when I get stuck behind a stroller on the stairs. When Max was here I realized what a struggle it is to get those kids around. I'm repentant!

And I thought hauling my laptop was bad...