March 2, 2007

Mr. Potato

Chase had a rough morning. He cried on and off for nearly two hours (two hours being the amount of time to wash and dry Blankey Blue). In order to distract him I suggested playing cars, finger puppets, and even taking a shower - but he was not taking the bait. The only thing he wanted was his blue...until out of the blue he said "potato."

"Do you want a potato, Chase?"

"Yes, tato, taaatooo!"

Well, I am wise enough to know that Chase had been in the fridge earlier, had probably seen the potatoes I had gotten at Draeger's, and wanted food as a distraction to ease his pain. But, instead of baking that potato for a mid-morning snack - I tried something off-the-wall (something to hopefully get Chase smiling and clean)...

I went and got the raw potato and with potato in hand asked Chase, "Did you want the potato to take a shower with you?" without giving him time to respond I turned and asked the potato,

"Would you, Mr. Potato, like to take a shower and wash your body and draw pictures of buses in the steam and splash in the water with Chase?"

I am grateful to report that the potato said yes to me and that Chase quickly dried his tears. What a happy shower - Mr. Potato may be joining us again (I know that James has already requested his company during his bath tonight).

Here is a picture with Chase gently holding Mr. Potato - who is wrapped in his own wash cloth.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit i have taken a vegetable or two with me when i bath, they have a sort of soothing effect. Chase...i understand. Sometimes life is really hard and all you need is a potato to make you happy.

Anonymous said...

Snap??? Perhaps this is something you should not be admiting to on the blog. . .

But now that you have, I am curious- broccoli, peppers, carrots what is your forte'?

Anonymous said...

Chase is brilliant! To bond with a vegie so fast, and in time of trauma is indeed note worthy! I must admit that when I put the potato away last night it did seem to have a pleasing personality.

Anonymous said...

I really, REALLY like the idea that if you lose something that comforts you, that there are substitutes. I really think God allowed Chasie to have this experience so I could learn a valuable life lesson. Thank you Mr. Potato!
Catherine

For now said...

Watch out- sounds like mom wants to steal Chaser's spud!

For now said...

to many comments- I know. . .

but I had to let you know that I let the Dee's read "Mr. Potato" and guess who I found sleeping with one as I tucked them in? My dear Gillian!! She was missing her mom:)

Love ya!

Ammon said...

Just curious-but could taking a warm bath really cook a potato-because if I can kill two birds with one stone-potato baths here I come!
P.S. I deleted my post just above-sorry-didn't know it would show that. :(

Lane said...

Chase, have you seen the Seinfeld where Kramer installs a disposal in his shower and makes salad? You could take this to a whole new level!

That picture is absolutely priceless. Only angie would think to wrap the potato in his own towel. Angie, do you want to raise my kids?

(lucky for you I don't have any kids--actually, lucky for the kids :))