April 10, 2007

What is this?

Do you remember the feeling of finding a toy in your cereal box? Well, this morning I opened the new Apple Jacks and sitting on top of the unopened bag was the toy. Here's the thing - I didn't mean to find it - but it was just sitting on top - I say where's the fun if you don't have to dig? Here's the next thing - the toy was a pedometer - that's right a pedometer - not so much a toy in my book. Anyhow, James ripped open said toy and wasn't disappointed - but rather, exhilarated. He spent the rest of the day tracking his steps. And when the numbers got into the thousands - he would proudly shout, "Two thousand, one hundred and seven!" What a sneaky/great way to practice high numbers!

He reset "the toy" when we went to Ikea. And because you are dying to know - it takes 3,879 James-size steps to survive Ikea. Oh, and we ended up finding these fun shades we are going to use to hang from the too-high ceiling of the Annex - I hope it will look really fun! Can you imagine thirty of these (they are really big) floating above you to create a faux ceiling. I'm crossing my fingers.

8 comments:

laurel said...

I was on a Frosted Flakes kick for a few weeks and we got so many pedometers! That must be Kelloggs' "toy" of choice these days. Funny.

Annie said...

I love the shades! Can't wait to see pics of the final product. 30 is impressive.
I think I am more impressed that you have a child who can count over two thousand. The last I remember of him is bawling when you went up to speak at church. time flies.

Ammon said...

How long do you hang on to these kind of "toys?" Carly gets the Happy Meal toys and other little plastic playthings here and there(dentist, doctor's office, etc.)and I never know where to put them or how long to hang on to them. Whenever I try to sneak them into the trash Carly finds them and then the waterworks begin. Ugh! Also, am I missing something? What's the Annex? I bet those shades will look neat either way!!

angie said...

the Annex is where my sister is getting married - its a huge space with tall ceilings...and as for "toys" my best success is throwing them away after bedtime

Megan said...

My nephew freaked out over one of these things a month ago. I made him run around the house to get to 2,000 steps - its a great way to expend some energy!

For now said...

I am so excited for the everything in the annex! The lanterns look great

jamieanne said...

Maybe I'm a bit juvenile, but I love those pedometers too. I have one and I track my steps every now and then, just to make sure I'm getting in my 10k a day.
And I love the idea of the lanterns. You'll have to post the finished product!

ali said...

30 globe-like lights sound dreamy!

Love the pedometer story. James is a trooper!