May 26, 2007

Post Secret




A New Yorker decided to make a community art project one day so he put blank postcards with an address and directions to write any secret on it and decorate it. After he spread them out on subways, the return was impressive. Each secret can be a hope, regret, funny experience, unseen kindness, fantasy, belief, fear, betrayal, desire, confession, or childhood humiliation. You can reveal anything - as long as it is true and you have never shared it with anyone before. Over the years this has become pretty widespread (there's even a postsecret blog!), I love the idea that you can write a secret down and send it off into the abyss. I did this along time ago when i first found out about it, for me it was more of a fun art project but for others it is a release. Who knows maybe literally sending a secret off can help let go of anything weighing on your shoulders.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I put back silverware if no one can tell ive used it...

Anonymous said...

I purposefully let go of helium ballons b/c i like to watch them disappear

Anonymous said...

i use gum instead of brushing at least once a week...

Anonymous said...

I did something to a bird I owned when I was first married...I....oh no, I just can't!

Anonymous said...

I love to pee on trees

Anonymous said...

i'm such a nerd i can't think of any secrets i have.

Anonymous said...

I read other peoples mail if it is left in the open (I never break a seal to do this)

Anonymous said...

I eat cookies for breakfast...regularly...and I don't share with my kids...but that is not much of a secret...