May 24, 2007

Yawping

Walt Whitman taught me well-"I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world". A "yawp" has become a ritual for me everytime I summit something extraordinarily high. I force whomever I am with to take the yawping postion (legs spread and squatted a bit, so as to produce more power) and take in their very deepest breath while holding hands and let out a yawp. We let it out as loud and long and hard as possible, while simulatneously raising your joined hands to the sky. Its overwhelming to feel every bit of oxygen leaving your body. It really helps me to drink in my whole environment and let everything else go. A scream can be so satisfying, just because. I encourage anyone to try this when on top of a high building, seaside cliff, mountain top or anything you find suitable. It can be hard for new comers; once after yawping I had someone tell me that they were "always scared" when they were with me...I took it as a compliment. (Oh I took these pictures at Squaw Peak in Utah, it's gorgeous in the fall)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its true my first yawping adventure was a little scary- we climbed this high peak in rock canyon at night with only the glow of provo's lights for guidance. I remember thinking abbie was spiderwoman or at least Roy was spiderman and she was some sort of half-super offspring. Anyways- we made it to the top and there I experienced my first yawp... Its definately a good way to leave your mark on a summit.

angie said...

I've never yawped with you! But, interesting fact, you know that euphoria - or rush you feel when you've hiked something big and look out - well, we don't have an English word for that experience...but most Native American languages do. Its interesting to think what we might be missing because there isn't a word for it. I'm glad you've substituted yawp - Walt would be proud! So, did Half Dome get your yawp as well - and I want to know are Roy and Emily good yawpers?

jamieanne said...

What a fan-tabulous idea. Really soak it up and live in the moment. Love it.

For now said...

oh my best girl - how I miss you!! I was with with you when you took these snap, snap, snaped these pictures! Keep up the good work you doggone.

Anonymous said...

With Dad's condition that day i figured it better to let the summit be a restful place rather than add anymore exhiliration to the height

Annie said...

these are really fabulous pictures and I am loving your posts. How does so much talent exist in one family???

catherine said...

After reading this - not being a Whitman afficienado (sp?) I read Leaves of Grass that night until 2 a.m. until I came upon his yawping poem. It was great! I liked Whitman also.
I was waaaay tooo old when I experienced my first yawp. It happened in Roy's convertible going over the hills to the ocean. (I know those of you who know me will find that hard to believe - but true)
Way to yawp - Abbie!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Squaw Peak IS beautiful. I am honored that I got to Yawp with you on the top of Half Dome...I was a little light headed....we did yawp didn't we? It seems like we did...perhaps I forgot to remember. May we Yawp again somewhere?

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I read your comments and I am:
1)happy that I am not loosing my mind and memory
2)sad to be a non-yawper
3)convinced that we need to conquer and yawp