June 29, 2007

Save the Dodo


I've stolen this phrase: "Save the Dodo" from Stephen Colbert. He brought my attention to a little talked about virtue - "patient courage" - the kind of courage to voice your opinion when it really doesn't matter any more. He, of course, was mocking politicians who stand up for issues when it will no longer hurt their career. But, in his sarcastic tone, I'd like to add...I've met people who used the word "non-profit" like it was a Starbucks Coffee Flavor, flaunting their self-sacrifice, "I've worked at a non-profit, have you?" And then those people who want to be smokers so desperately they have to conscientiously smoke their quota - just to try to become addicted - it doesn't come easily to some. And then, there are people who are so unhappy with their lives but have resigned themselves to a life of misery - no use admitting you are wrong or changing or even saying sorry - unhappiness is so much better. Under the banner of Save the Dodo - I say, stick to your plan. Save that dead Dodo.

Tangent 1 - No sarcasm now - I truly love the restaurant, The Dodo in SLC for these reasons...
  • Smoked Turkey Sandwich 8.95
    Smoked in-house and thinly sliced turkey on a sourdough garlic roll. Served with a Dodo barbecue sauce.~ add Swiss cheese 30¢. ~
  • Toll House Pie 6.95
  • Carmel Coffee Cake 6.95

Tangent 2 - I vaguely remember a Sesame Street movie where Big Bird lives with a bunch of dodo birds - is this a terrible nightmare? or is my memory accurate?

Tangent 3 - Comedy Central: Jon Stewart and mostly Stephen Colbert are my source for the loudest laughter - I can't help myself. Stephen and his funny ear are just priceless.

Tangent 4 - I really do know people who fit the profiles above - scary, huh?!

Painting: Dodo Bird by Brenda Hall

3 comments:

Annie said...

My tastebuds are salivating for the Dodo's turkey sandwich with cheese and dipping sauce. A definite favorite!

Ammon said...

the smoking... kills me!

Anonymous said...

The dodo family with big bird is from a Sesame Street movie called "Follow that Bird." How sad that I know this. The Dodo's toll house pie is my favorite, I was trying to find their recipe and stumbled on your blog. I have to say their ham and swiss sandwich is my favorite - sorry turkey lovers!