July 9, 2007

T is for Theft and Trek


When I graduated from high school I got an awesome Trek Mountain bike. My bike was with me for many a crash and even came with me to college; up to Bridalveil mostly. But for many sad years, my bike has sat unused. Getting older, getting less desirable. But, last week, Ben decided to give my bike an overhaul - he fixed the flat and carefully oiled him back into action.

But, get this. Ben took my bike up to San Francisco on the train (he works there everyday and was thinking about going to the home run derby after work). Now the thought of Ben riding my small bikes conjures all sorts of hilarious images - but I guess it worked - but the hilarity ends there. After work, Ben came out to find the locked bike very gone.

So, I have to say good-bye to an old friend. Good-bye to a chapter. I hate good-byes.

By the by, I lived in New York for three years and had nothing stolen.

2 comments:

For now said...

I though that you were going to say that the bike was stolen out of our back yard- at least I was happy to hear that it was stolen in SF. How did they get it with the bike lock?

I am sorry to see that bike go though-

perhaps Ben can borrow Kyles from next door's

Anonymous said...

We haven't had anything swiped since we lived in Provo. I think pretty much everybody who lived at Cambridge Courts got hit. The "big time" thieves got CDs and sunglasses. I hear there's a pretty big market for used shades and CDs w/o covers or cases. Anyways, still ultra-sucky that someone took your bike. If you really, really want to get it back you could do a cross-country search, just like Pee Wee Herman did. On your way be sure and check the basement in the Alamo.