October 15, 2007

Choose Carefully...

...your words that is.

I overheard my mother getting my kids dressed the other day and sank when these words came out of her mouth,"Get your panties and stockings on." Now, let me remind you that I have two boys and that the thought of them putting panties and stockings on is horrifying; mostly because I think of this...


She assures me that it is generational, and that there is nothing better than "big boy panties." I respectfully disagree, and think that there is something better. In truth, anything is better than using the word panties and stockings - because they aren't girls. So, as the debate rages, I will be calling them socks and underwear (and maybe unders occasionally).

12 comments:

ali said...

Ah, this is so funny. Angie, you crack me up. You could always go with Underoos?

Ammon said...

I must say that I agree with you! However, having a boy and a girl, I often slip up... whoops!

Ann said...

i'm with you, angie! i don't even like the word panties for girls!

laurel said...

That's so funny! I said "panties" the other day and Avery said "No, mommy, they are UNDERWEAR."

catherine said...

Arghhh! Even my best friend agrees it just wouldn't be the same if you couldn't say to your boy, "Are you ready for your big boy panties?" Oh, okay, even reading that makes me cringe a little. I'll try hard, but it's like the old Utah...crick/creek...thing, it slips out just when you think you've left your past behind.

hannah m said...

This is so funny! Thanks for the laugh out loud, I needed that. :)

And Catherine, I totally remember the "crick" vs."creek" at your parents' house in Bountiful! Happy memories.

For now said...

Panties!!! Perhaps that is why she has boys who wear leotards. . .

familia Bybaran said...

I am so sad I missed the I remembers. Shoot. It was in the midst of having a baby and I didnt have a chance to check your blog. Maybe I can still get one in.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Angela!

Author said...

HA! I love inserting a tiny y-sound when I say "pyanties" and "underpyants"....

the keele's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kyndra said...

I'm on your side Ang.