October 6, 2007

love, from Whitney

I remember when I first moved into the Rose House and Angie Robinson is the first person I met. She was very gracious and kind as I peppered her with questions about the living situation we were both getting into. Poor girl! She had no idea why the former occupant of my new room had decided not to move out during the Christmas break, but she never told me she was as clueless as I was because she could tell I was confused and uncertain and so she was just sweet and listened to me. And then we became Basement Babes with Emily Berg and I enjoyed the last years in Provo more than I ever imagined.

I remember when Angie and I planned Thanksgiving Dinner one year. Angie was amazing! Her floating cranberries and candles were beautiful centerpieces. And she made individual place cards out of apples and gold wire for each person in attendance. And of course, every dish she made was fabulous.

I remember thinking so many times that Angie is one of the most amazing mothers I have ever observed, or had the honor of spending an afternoon with. She thinks of the most intelligent and compelling reasons to correct behaviour, and inspire good works and love in her children.

I remember sitting with Angie and James one afternoon on their traffic carpet, and we cut out cardboard pieces and used markers to draw the subway cars, with James directing the operations and making sure we remembered that the 6 train runs north from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall to Pelham Bay Park.

I remember eating beautiful petite polka-dotted cakes and drinking Fizzy Lizzy soda with Angie, E. Berg and Lane at Polka Dot Cake Studio for Angie's birthday one year. Although my favorite bakery closed last summer, I still remember that Angie is one of my favorite friends who I can count on to always want to seek out and share a treat with me, and never fret over a silly thing like a calorie, or too many treats before dinnertime.

I remember when Angie remembered my birthday one year and no one else did. She called to plan ahead. I will never forget this.

I remember that Angie has one of the best and happiest laughs of all of my friends. I remember walking across the Brooklyn Bridge with her one afternoon and thinking, "this is the darling, happy friend I will always remember."

2 comments:

Lane said...

I remember that birthday at Polka Dot! That was one of those charmed, perfect afternoons with great company and adorable confections.

Polka Dot always reminded me of you, Whitters.

angie said...

that Thanksgiving table did look so pretty - our china worked so well together - but you have always had a gift for making and seeing beauty - so if your eye liked the apples, i know they were good! its hard to imagine how things have changed - but seeing your bright smiling face makes me feel hopeful!