January 15, 2009

Double Bird Strike


I found myself glued to the news. The birds that took down an Airbus and an amazing pilot who glided the plane into the Hudson, barely avoiding bridges and such. No one died, and injuries were minimal. The captain barely said anything, but he did say, "Brace Yourselves" right before impact.

My first apartment in Manhattan looked out on the Hudson. And all of the photos seemed to be in my backyard. I am guessing friends probably looked out their windows and watched the ferries rush in.

Amazing. I think I'll be using the phrase "double bird strike" for those days that seem to have crushing blows...you know those days...and I'll try to remember that even with two engines down there is still room for a miraculous ending.

6 comments:

Sarah Jean said...

What a wonderful way to look at it.

Missi Waldron said...

I LOVE Angie insight... this is truly an incredible story. Hope you steer clear of a double bird strike day!

brooke said...

Honestly, I should read an Angie quote every morning. Great way to look at this incredible story. Can you believe it? How lucky those people were to have such a great pilot.

hannah m said...

I love the way you think, Ang.

lynette said...

i need an angie-ism every day. don't stop!

RATCH said...

I am totally using double bird strike to describe "those" days!