July 9, 2009

That's Some Egg


In Charlotte's Web, one of the adjectives carefully quilted into a web was some. That's, "some pig." I think she also wove radiant and humble (which seem like better choices)...but all of this is besides the point.

This morning we cracked open this fresh Ostrich egg and had fried egg whites and scrambled egg for breakfast (by we, I mean James and Chase). But before we feasted, we talked ostrich shop. We had to look up ostriches on the National Geographic Website. We had to watch the YouTube video of an ostrich attacking a camera and even one of an ostrich race. This, of course, reminded me of the genius race from Swiss Family Robinson where Ernst, wearing a straw top hat, does indeed ride on an ostrich.

Now, Swiss Family Robinson was really more of a way of life than a movie to me. I watched this movie perhaps more than anything else (ok, Overboard is really high on this list for some reason as well). Anyhow, I was able to find it and watch it with my boys and can I just say that A. I love the youngest brother, Francis, who catches an elephant and accidentally blows up coconut bombs, B. don't know why Disneyland switched it to a Tarzan tree house - it was sooo the Swiss Family Robinson's and always will be, and C. I think my brother Pat grew up to be Fritz.

Can I also say on a semi-ostrich related topic, that the Road Runner always looked more like an ostrich to me than a actual road runner...but, maybe it is just me.

7 comments:

Mason Manor said...

Love it! Love everything about it.

Jen Mo said...

I, too, am outraged that the Swiss Family Treehouse is now Tarzan's treehouse. Tarzan didn't even live there!! His parents were eaten there! And also, Tarzan's treehouse was not real, whereas they really did build that treehouse for the Swiss Family Robinson in Trinidad Tobago (yes, I have been watching my DVD special features!!). Finally, I love the Swiss Family Robinson. It is brilliant, and always will be!!!

Jen Mo said...

Ps. I had a big crush on Fritz!

hannah m said...

good gravy, i guess i've never seen an ostrich egg. that's BIG!

i had totally forgotten about overboard, but that is a fun trip down memory ln.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

I have always loved that movie too. I watched the special features- the making of the movie about a month ago. I was fascinated.
Where did you get an ostrich egg to eat?

Olsen Family said...

Where do you get an ostrich egg? That is too much fun. Did one egg feed you all?

angie said...

we learned that one ostrich egg is equivalent to 24 regular eggs...so, yes, enough for all of us (although i only took one bit and am not a big game fan)