February 28, 2010

Toot and Kahmen


King Tut (Tutankhamun or Toot and Kahmen according to Chase) came to SF.  I was really debating whether or not to go.  It sounded cool, but I remembered how I felt in the Egyptian wing at the Met.  I would usually walk right through most of it.  Ok, I would stop at the Temple of Dendur, but quite possibly I just stopped to admire the high ceilings and the enormous glass windows and the looking pond (all of which have nothing to do with Egypt).  But I successfully talked myself into it with cliches like "once in a lifetime"...and off we went.

We had lunch outside and the Lunchables stole the show.  I was worried we that this may indeed be the highlight...but, fortunately, I was wrong.  The kids loved it.  Chase loved listening to his device; he would type in the number and summarize what was going on. And then I brought Model Magic for the kids to sculpt their favorite artifact.

James made an ahnk and the dagger that was found on the Boy King (on the actual mummy - and mummies and eight year olds hold quite the fascination).  Chase found a polar bear, that turned out to be a lion, on top of a canopic jar that he had to create.  He also wanted to make the beetle on this amazing necklace (I want one), and of course his own ahnk.

No comments: