March 4, 2010

The Story of a Hand-Me-Down

We have a neighbor who frequents our door with gifts of stained clothes, broken toys, and the orphaned pieces of games.  I usually try to greet him with a "no thank you" or a "not this time" or a "I just wish we had more room."  But if on the odd occasion my boys beat me to the door, they find treasures soon enough.  And invaritably, I find myself persuading and pleading:  "I don't really think we need the arm of that storm trooper,"  or a "wow, I love that left snow boot, but I really think you would probably need two next time we go to the snow.  Please put it back and thank Neighbor." 

But on this particular occasion I rounded the corner, just seconds after the door bell rang, and was greeted by a smiling raccoon.  He looked something like:


It is hard to talk someone out of a costume when they are wearing it and loving it, and Chase is no exception to this generally accepted rule. I tried to point out how far from Halloween we are...and how we don't really have a lot of space for extra costumes.  (Oh, did you notice the "s" in costumes.  Well, it is because there was The Shaggy Dog in the bag as well).  Anyhow, to shorten the story, Neighbor wouldn't take no for an answer.  Neighbor talked me into it;  rather hijacked me into it.  And Neighbor even had the guts to say, "We use it all of the time..." as he slowly and victoriously walked away. 

Now, here's the turning point to this story.  The part where I admit, Neighbor was right.  I was wrong.  After a good washing, which turned the yellow fur back to white, this costume has become a treasure.  More than a treasure, a treat.  Because who doesn't enjoy a little boy greeting you as a raccoon?! Chase loves this costume and does indeed "use it all the time."  It is, hands-down, the best hand-me-down of all times.  So hooray for the gently used friend and a neighbor who knew the joy and just had to share!

6 comments:

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Great story. I have someone at church who too loves to share. Aggghhhh!

Ann said...

look how proud he is in that costume! and so adorable!! you're a much better mom than me-i don't know if i would have caved. but so glad you did-it's wonderful!

lynette said...

so the raccoon was a winner but what about the shaggy dog?

angie said...

we kept Shaggy Dog too...I couldn't say no...but James doesn't wear it very often...

Abigail Kate said...

I can vouch that this costume is rather magical. There is nothing more endearing than chase crawling around as a raccoon at completely random moments. Love him!

Nikki CB said...

So cute! Looks like it would also make comfy wintertime pjs...unless there is a large tail....